Friday, June 7, 2019

Day 3: Michigan Road Trip

We are taking the long route to our next destination.  The hotel receptionist insisted it was worth our time for the detour so we shall see.  What else do we have to do?  Our first stop is at Point Iroquois Lighthouse.
We climbed to the top to enjoy the views . . .
The lighthouse was an easy climb but for someone that does not like heights, confined spaces, or steps with open slots well it was a bit nerve wracking but did it.  We headed back down to roam around.  What I wasn't expecting was the water to be so clear and beautiful.  I mean look at those rocks!  I never imagined Michigan would be so pretty.  I had to drag the teenager away from skipping rocks but remember this is boring.
We enjoyed walking along the sandy beach . . .
Then onto Tahquamenon Falls State Park.  First we stopped at the Lower Falls.  It was a short hike to get a close up of the falls and this time we were prepared with bug spray . . .
. . . then a quick drive to the Upper Falls . . .
So why are the falls brown?  The water is notably brown in color from the tannins leached from the cedar swamps at the start of the Tahquamenon River.  Who knew?  So we were back on the road towards our final stop of the day.  We arrive in Saint Ignace and park the car for the next two nights.  We are ready to leave the world of cars behind and head to Mackinac Island.
The ferry was arriving so our timing was great . . . we board Shepler's ferry for Mackinac Island.
I was surprised at how smooth and a fast the ferry ride was over to the island.  Our hotel, Bicycle Street Inn, is right across the street from the ferry dock.  The porter picked up our bags and we check into our room.  We  quickly head out to explore.  Mackinac Island does not have cars!  There are more bicycles than people on the island too.  I decided we should take a carriage tour to get an orientation of the island.  It was so much nicer to have a private tour of 4 than a group tour of over 20 people plus it was only about $25 more!  Approaching the Grand Hotel . . . 
It was magnificent but can't imagine paying that much to stay at the hotel.  Our guide was good and we enjoyed his stories and knowledge.  The houses on the island are amazing . . .
Oh and the flowers too . . .
And the views . . .
The tour was a good way to spend an hour and gave a good overview of the island.  It sure beat walking up all the hills too.  We ended our day with an early dinner at The Pink Pony!

1 comment:

  1. Mackinac Island and the Upper Peninsula are on our list, so I look forward to your comments! And I am completely with you about heights, enclosed spaces, and stairs with open risers. Stairs with open risers in a tight space are terrible for me. I amazed myself by walking on the glass skywalk at Grand Canyon West. I have gotten better at just saying "no, I can't do that" about heights and tight spaces but I hate to miss anything. There were so many times at the Grand Canyon that it appeared to me that Dan was on the very edge, but then in the photos, I can see that he wasn't at all. Sometimes I couldn't even watch him walk out to take photos - that's how much the heights bother me. I saw plenty from my conservative distance! Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete