Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Utah day 3

I am about to decide to never take my child on vacation.  I mean when you stay up late and sleep late it seems like a waste of time and money.  I have tired to lower my expectations when I travel with the teen but well it is frustrating to say the least.  Also this no plan trip is sort of wearing on me too.  I’m a planner.  I like to make the most of my time when I’m on a trip and today has been a bit of a disaster.  The housekeeping guy literally started circling the wagons at 8am in his golf cart in the gravel.  Even knocked on our door and woke me up.  Now this place uses big master locks so if I haven’t turned it in then I’m still occupying my wagon.  I know it is small inconvenience but it is annoying too.  We are changing lodging so we have 5 hours to fill in our day.  This is where the no planning thing backfires.  Colin wanted to take a fly fishing trip so thought perfect until we couldn’t find a guide.  I do have something planned at 5pm so don’t want to venture too far and miss it.  My head is spinning . . . literally because the kids at the playground outside our wagon are out early and having one hell of an adventure in the playground all while my kiddo sleeps.  I know I should not complain because kids playing outside is great.  So we finally get up and check out.  Since it is so late we grabbed a quick lunch at Subway.  We are going back to Capitol Reef National Park for a bit more exploring!  I also make a quick stop at Gifford Homestead for a cinnamon roll!  They tell us that the plum orchards are open today so we decide to go pick and eat some plums!
Now in Texas plums are not this small . . . supposedly they say everything is bigger in Texas. I swear I have seen cherries in Washington larger than these plums.  While the plums are small, they are tasty and tart too.  No one else was picking plums so we had the pick of the trees and there were so many!  It was back to the car from some cruising the scenic route . . .
We found a table by the river and noticed a deer all alone in the field eating fruit!  We stood and watched her for a bit . . .
While Colin frolics in the river, I eat . . . 
I am not sure he was suppose to be in the river but he had a good time . . . 
It was near check in time for the new lodging so off we went but decided to check on our deer before we left . . . 
Tonight we are staying at Capital Reef Resort.  The resort has many types of lodging options but the main reason I picked it is so we could stay in one of these . . .
It was super nice inside too.  I was amazed at the quality of bedding and amenities inside too.  It even had a very large television which we never even turned on.

Our tour for this evening starts at the resort too.  We are going on a hike with these guys!  
Meet Woody . . .
. . . and Wall-E too!
I am so excited about this little adventure but must admit I was a bit overwhelmed and intimidated by my llama.  It took me a bit to warm up to him but he was a good llama once I took his lead!
We took a break and the llamas did too.  They were given these special 'biscuits' which they loved!  I was amazed at how well they got around and were just so fun too.  They talked and made noises and never complained!
The views of the area were so pretty . . .
Our time was up so back to the resort we headed . . . you can see the resort in the distance
I had originally planned to say at this resort the entire 3 nights we were in the area as they also had wagons.  However the cost of the wagons here was almost double the other place.  I was very happy with my decision and we basically stayed two nights for the price of one plus had a great steak dinner too at Broken Spur Inn & SteakhouseCapitol Reef Resort was larger and had a few more amenities that seemed more updated but both were clean with great locations.  Now that it was getting dark the fire pits were turned on and it was time for s'mores!  I had picked up supplies before we left Salt Lake City but the resort also sold kits.
We were joined by a family from the Netherlands.  They were super nice and were on their six weeks US trip.  This family has spent a lot of time in the US especially Texas so they were fun to talk to.  I would say the majority of the people we have encountered the last few days were European.  The sun went down and it dropped to the 50s!  It was so nice because I knew in a few short days we would be back in Texas melting away!

No comments:

Post a Comment