Wednesday, June 22, 2022

HOLA Dominican Republic

 Oh passport . . . I sure have missed you!  
I have been wanting to travel international but due to the ridiculous rule of not being able to enter back into the United States without a covid test in 24 hours put a halt to that . . . SO . . . when that rule was changed I was on the computer booking a quick, last minute trip with points and miles!  This is exactly why I hoard my miles and points!  If you have watched the news you have probably seen the nightmare stories about airports being packed due to increased travel demands.  I was more worried about finding a parking spot than security so we were up early.  We found plenty of parking within walking distance to the terminal and breezed right past security thanks to TSA Pre-Check.  Of course you never know just how long this step can take and someone was unhappy we were there so early but you just never know how it will go these days.  I played my chances that we might get an empty seat between us . . .
I'm sure you know how that worked out for us . . . it didn't.  The guy that was suppose to sit there was traveling with a dog and his wife so he switched with someone else and let's just say there was absolutely no way that the new person would fit in the middle seat.  So Colin took the window, I took the middle, and the new person took the aisle.  Y'all, it was miserable for me . . . all 4 hours and 8 minutes . . . totally miserable and at that point I knew that flying in a cramped space was not for me!  I have flown a lot and not flying much the last two years I had forgotten how tight the seat and personal space really was . . . however the aisle person was half in my seat so that did not help.  I was kind but never so happy to be off the plane.  Anyway, we arrived in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic with our small carry-on, cleared customs and immigration in record time had a speedy driver pick us up and were loving life again!  We were welcomed to Hyatt Ziva Cap Cana with a yummy dragon fruit drink . . .
We checked in and were shown to our room . . . I knew we had received an upgraded room but always like to surprise Colin.  Just a normal room with two beds.
Oh wait, turn around . . . 
. . . wait, what is that outside our door?
I can tell I am going to be spending a lot of time in these chairs!  We quickly headed out for lunch since we had not eaten all day and oh the view was so nice!  I think I am going to like it here.
We had a nice lunch and headed back to the room to unpack and relax.  There was a nice welcome to the resort and thanks for being a Hyatt Globalist.  I have been a loyal Hilton Honors Diamond member for many years but recently switched to Hyatt . . . while it pains me to say this the Hyatt rewards program is so much better than Hilton.  I feel valued and the use of points for amazing rooms and upgrades is far better with Hyatt.  
Colin asked to taste the wine . . . he was not the least bit impressed.  It wasn't horrible, but it was a strong cabernet sauvignon.  With map in hand, we headed out to explore the resorts.  We are staying in the family side of the Hyatt Ziva but since Colin is 18, we can also use the Hyatt Zilara that is connected next door.  We found the restaurants and pools and had a few snacks and drinks.  We both decided the family side of Ziva was way more lively and fun.  So back to Ziva we went to hang out before dinner.  The air conditioner in the room was amazing!  The temperature outside was a dream in the mid-80s.  We left Texas as we were on day 10 of over 100 degrees.  So the cooler weather was very welcoming.  The resort is an all-inclusive so is does not cost anything for food, drink, or certain activities.  While we probably lose money, it is nice to not have to worry about paying or how much we are spending.  I let Colin pick dinner as we ended up at the Tempest Table which was teppan tables and Mongolian grill.  It was okay but no need to go back.  I wanted a sweet treat so we popped into the buffet, El Mercado.
Let's just say it looked better than it tasted.  Tomorrow is a beach day . . . I am so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment