I had an amazing night of sleep! I
don’t know when I ever slept 10 hours! It was back on the road to Fort
Laramie National Historic Site. Fort
Laramie was perhaps the single most important location in America’s expansion
into the west. Founded in 1834 as a
trading post, it became a military fort in 1849 but abandoned by the military in 1890. Over the years it influenced
major events in the history of the Trans-Mississippi West. From the eras of the fur trade, the Oregon
Trail, and the Indian Wars, the fort served as an American foothold in a
rapidly changing west.
The weird thing about me and my travel planning is that over the years I have become unpredictable.
As I was looking at the map, I realized there was a place that I had
been wanting to stay for a long time and it was only 3 hours away . . . so I headed
that way. I have always wanted to stay at the
Under Canvas tents but they are never near where I am going, out of my budget, or it is just too hot!
So here I am!
Under Canvas Mount Rushmore is literally in the middle of nowhere . . . the roads are questionable especially in my rental car, but I made it. I had one thing on the agenda: nothing! I sat on the front porch while the day ticked away until I grabbed dinner. I spent way tooo much time watching these guys scurry around!
Under Canvas Mount Rushmore is literally in the middle of nowhere . . . the roads are questionable especially in my rental car, but I made it. I had one thing on the agenda: nothing! I sat on the front porch while the day ticked away until I grabbed dinner. I spent way tooo much time watching these guys scurry around!
I signed up for the sunset hike.
I questioned how difficult it was and was told, “oh anyone can do it.” Ya'll don't believe the young guide who is fit and does this daily that it is really that easy! That is when I should have walked away, but I
did not. The goal was to see Mount
Rushmore as the sun was setting, but it was hazy and hard to see. The longer I looked the easier it was
to see the four Presidents.
The hike back was easier but man
I’m so out of shape. A quick stop for a s’mores kit and to the tent for hopefully a
good night sleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment