Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Day 8: Vilnius, Lithuania

Yes the view from Room 419 is still there . . . even better today with the sun shinning and a blue sky!
We headed downstairs for a yummy breakfast . . . I should have taken my camera because it was amazing!  We quickly got outside and started enjoying the city.  We walked across the street to spend our day in the Cathedral Square area.  We did a quick walk around the actual Cathedral and noticed they had a Crypt tour in the afternoon.  The Clock Tower was open so stopped by and bought tickets to climb the tower and crypt tour in the afternoon.  I have a fear of heights specifically when going up stairs that have openings that allow me to see below.  So I started the climb and was thrilled the steps were easy . . .
. . . and then it changed . . . ummm nope not going to happen . . . I tried but turned back!
I will just stay here and look at the bells . . .
. . . and the views outside.  They also had some audio sets to listen to stories about the area and people.  Back outside for some much needed fresh air . . .
. . . and a stop at the Palace of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania Museum . . .
View of Gediminas Tower . . .
You know what was the best part of this museum?  They had this virtual reality movie that cost 1€.  You put on the headset and WOW, it gives you the whole history in about 7 minutes.  What I just spent the last hour or so reading was right in front of me and so visual and about the coolest thing I have seen in a museum!  It really was a very nice museum, impressive and so worth our time.  I was tired of reading and ready to relax.  Most of the hotels in the area are big on spas and wellness.  The Kempinski is no different.  So we put on our robes and slippers and headed downstairs.  Wow, isn't this amazing?
And there were only two other people there.  I enjoyed the whirlpool, cold pool, and sauna.  It was amazing and so relaxing too.  And just a FYI you were required to wear a swim suit so not one of those total nude places.  Since we were so relaxed it was time for a super short nap before heading back across the street for the crypt tour.  The crypt tour was a large group but really worth the price.  It was difficult to take photos as it was really dark . . .
It was snack time so back to Aula for more fried bread with cheese!
. . . and an after dinner drink at the hotel and snack because I just ate enough for two and why not it's vacation?

No comments:

Post a Comment