Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Texas Road Trip: Spring Break day 5

I told Colin he could sleep late today.  My idea of late is about 9:00-9:30am but in reality it was closer to 11:00am when he rolled out of bed.  It was not a big deal since today was just a driving day.  It wasn't as if he stayed up late as he was in bed before midnight.  How do people sleep so late?  So we missed breakfast.  It isn't a Texas Road Trip until you have a little Whataburger!
I went for lunch, but Colin had his breakfast platter.  Our only stop today was at Caprock Canyon State Park.  The drive from Amarillo to Quitaque on the 207 was beautiful and so scenic . . .
There were times I had to remind myself I was in Texas.  It amazed me we were driving through flat farm land with grazing cows and then it was canyons and red rocks.  Caprock Canyon State Park is home to the largest official herd of bison in the State of Texas.  They were pretty, and we were always looking over our shoulder when we were out of the car!
We did a short hike to see The Natural Bridge . . .
The texture of the rocks was cool . . .
I guess the sign we saw earlier wasn't joking . . .
Colin was afraid they would charge the car, but we were going super slow.  A quick stop to watch the black-tailed prairie dogs before we hit the road.
Today was our longest day in the car.  We were on small two lane roads crisscrossing small towns in Texas most of the day.  We were both a little hungry and thought an ice cream from Dairy Queen would hit the spot.  I can remember as a kid just about every small town (except for the one I grew up in) had a DQ, but today we searched for hours until we finally found one in Aspermont, Texas which was almost to our final destination for the night.  Oh well, we got a dipped cone anyway and it was yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment