Friday, July 21, 2023

Day 10: Munich tourist

I did find the breakfast to be delightful and the location of the hotel was nice; however I still feel out of place.  Today we are going to visit the Dachau Concentration Camp.  I have been here before in the winter time where it was snowing so today will be the complete opposite of weather.  Colin has not been so thought it would be good to see the difference between the one in Poland and Germany.  Just walking through the gate that says Arbeit Mack Frei (work will set you free) sort of doesn't set well.

Most concentration camps do not have many buildings left because they were set on fire once word was out they were about to be liberated.
The original entrance gates are under glass display due to being stolen in 2014.  They were recovered and now displayed in the museum.

As we exited there were guard bunkers that we did not even notice on our way inside.

One of Colin’s 3 was to visit a brauhaus (brewery) in Germany which is why I think he really picked Munich.  Our hotel is a block over so we decided to go for the full tourist experience of Hofbrauhaus.  I had warned him that every American tourist in town would be here and we would have to just walk until we found two open seats.  The thing about Germany is you can sit wherever there is an open seat no matter if there are already other people sitting at a table.  So we literally walked around for 15 minutes and at the same time we both found open seats in different locations.  My seats were way better so Colin joined me at a table with another American family.  Needless to say we had fun!  
The beer was the best part as the food was not anything to really mention so go to drink not eat!  And it was so stinking hot inside but I just made the best of it! 
 

As we left HBH it was pouring ran so we made a run back to the hotel.  We looked like two wet dogs as we entered the upscale lobby which I am sure no found impressive.  I had a food credit at the hotel so we both had a slice or cake and cappuccino.  It was okay too and way more than I would ever spend but it was free or shall I say included with the room!  

Expensive?  2 slices of cake and 2 cappuccinos cost 41€ (about $43); my credit was 40€ so I had to pay 1€ which was fine.  We took a break at the spa and went for a chilly swim.  It was an indoor heated pool but nowhere near warm enough for me.  We headed back out for dinner and everywhere was packed!  I guess we needed reservations since it was Friday night.  We found a pizza place and had a slice.  Of course, I had to have eis too.  

Back to the hotel . . . so one of the things I was looking forward to was buying a Kinder Egg.  The official name is Kinder Überraschungsei.  Kinder Eggs are a hollow chocolate egg with a toy inside.  You might have seen them at US stores called Kinder Joy, but trust me that are not the same!  The European eggs are so much better and the toys usually requite some assembly.  The European eggs are banned in the United States due to the small parts being considered a choking hazard.  I had not been able to find them in Germany but when we were in Poland I found a few so picked them up.  I never really had time to open them until now.  
 
 
I was not really into the theme of these eggs but had fun with them no less.  I am also glad I picked them up since they were the only eggs I saw our entire trip!
 

Steps:  11,705

Miles:  5.11 

No comments:

Post a Comment