Saturday, July 15, 2023

Day 4: Hamburg to Berlin

Finally we both had good sleep and did not wake up until 630.   Our time in Hamburg was fast and not sure I really need to come back.  I enjoyed what we came here to see but we are off to the bahnhof (train station) on our own two feet to our next town.  Anyway, ya’ll it is only 68 degrees outside and loving it.  Hard to believe it is almost 40 degrees hotter in Texas.  The walk was nice.  We saw some of the bicycle racers already out and about racing.  The hotel did not include breakfast so we stopped at a bratwurst stand because someone was starving
So, let me be honest.  The eating three large meals a day is getting old.  I do not need to eat that much and having to stop for Colin to eat sort of annoys me.  All I could think about was the precious time we are wasting!  At some point I am going to have to just let it be and enjoy the moment.  Not sure when that point will be but  . . . so since we have the German Rail Pass we can ride on any train.  However, that does not guarantee us a seat so if we want to sit we have to reserve a seat which is about 12€ for two seats.  I wanted the flexibility to decide which train the day before and usually reserved seats on my phone (DB app is wonderful) as we were walking to the train station.  If you know me and how I travel this is so not me!  I am a planner but this is one aspect that I was willing to just sort of let happen.  And Colin reminded me often that it's all good until it isn't!  insert eye roll   The train station was busy since it was a Saturday morning.  We watched for our train to arrive from above before going down to the track.
We have both decided that train travel does not help with jet lag.  The quiet cars with comfortable seats make it so hard to stay awake.  It is just too relaxing!  We arrived to a very hot Berlin!  I decided against walking to the hotel and grabbed a ride share.  Best decision ever . . . well, at least for today.  Thankfully we were able to check-in early to our hotel, Grand Hyatt Berlin . . . it is another free stay with points.  The downside to checking in early was I would have to forfeit an upgraded room but when you just want a room you don’t care and it is only for two days.  We dropped our stuff and headed out.  On our walk we had a bit of a ‘discussion’ on why we were in Berlin.  Colin insisted I picked this for my stop and I quickly said nope . . . been here and done this and no real reason to return.  No matter who picked or why we are in Berlin, we are here and have to make the best of it.  There are several sites we have not visited on our previous trip to Berlin so off we go.  First stop was at Berlin Bunker Story.  
Housed inside a 6,500-square-metre WWII bunker, the tour chillingly recreates some of the most infamous events in German history. The exhibition showcases the sequence of events leading up to Hitler's suicide in 1945 in the Führerbunker. A major attraction on the Berlin Story Bunker tour is a viewing of the reconstruction of Hitler’s personal study. Visitors are led through the bunker, where each scene is accentuated with stills from films such as 2004's 'Downfall', which chronicled the dictator's final days in the Führerbunker.
It was toasty inside and massive.  We did not expect it to be so detailed.  A great overview of Hitler's life and the historic events leading up to WWII.  No photos were allowed inside but I did sneak this one before we entered.
So it is rather hot in Berlin.  Like 95 degrees hot so walking around in a large city center is pretty miserable.  As we walked back towards Potsdamer Platz we stopped at the 
Anhalter Bahnhof ruins.  The Anhalter Bahnhof was once one of Berlin's most important railway stations.  It was severely damaged in World War II, and finally closed for traffic in 1952.
 
During the days of the Berlin Wall, there were over 300 watchtowers; only three survived the dismantling of the wall between West and East Berlin.  I had read there was one still standing in the area we were staying so off we went to find it.  I knew we were on the correct street and it would dead end but all we found was a construction zone fence with a sign.

Too bad it is closed but glad it is being preserved.  At this point, we were both hot and hungry.  We found a German restaurant and ordered.  I was so excited as this was going to be a traditional German meal.  I was so unimpressed!  And you know what made me even madder?  When our waiter, who we had not seen since we ordered, made the comment that the bill did not include a tip.  A tip?  Are you kidding me?  In all my years of living and visiting Germany, I have never been told that a tip is not included.  So not only was the food not great at Paulaner Wirtshaus but the waiter asked for a tip!  In most European countries a tip is not like at home.  A tip is not expected but usually it is customary to give a small tip as rounding the bill up or adding a few euros and that is what I usually do.  Maybe I should have read up on things that had changed but his mention turned me off because he did absolutely nothing except bring us a menu and take our order . . . someone else brought our food and another drink that I asked for several times.  I promise I was not being an annoying American tourist.  I should have lowered my expectations since we were in the middle of a big tourist area but will not be going back there!  Anyway, I have been telling Colin all about eis cafés (ice cream shop) and since I was still a bit bitter about the tip at lunch, we found Caffe e Gelato right around the corner.  He was impressed with the huge menu book with photos!  I was just excited to have some ice cream! 

I do not even remember what I ordered but it had some sort of liquor on it and it was delicious.  It was back to the hotel to cool off and relax!  Oh and we discovered the automatic blinds in the room so we will be sleeping in pure black out tonight!

steps:  10,200 
miles:   4.7

No comments:

Post a Comment