Monday, July 17, 2023

Day 6: to Poland

We slept until 7am! Made our way downstairs for another nice breakfast to fuel up for a long day in a car. 
So I am trying something new this trip.  The train to our destination was long with many changes so I wanted a quicker option.  Several years ago I bookmarked a car service called DayTrip.  They pick you up in one town and drive you to another town with stops along the way.  After researching trains and plane, this seemed like a good option.  Of course as we waited outside and our ride was late, I began to doubt my choice of this new mode of transportation.  There is a lot of construction near the hotel so being  a few minutes late sort of sent me in a panic trying to figure out how we would get to our destination.   Yep, I tend to overreact.  Then the driver texted me he was trying to find an open street which toned down my stress and we were off!  I think I scared the driver when I jumped in the front passenger seat because he had a look of paniac on his face so I asked it if it was okay to sit up front.  He said yes but I'm not sure he was ready for me.  I love looking out the window.
This has been a great experience so far.  I enjoy seeing the scenery and not having to drive! Oh and Hello Poland!  Since the car ride was long, I added two stops along the way so we could get out and walk around.  The driver was strict with the one-hour time limit but if I ever do this again I probably would not have stops or make them longer.  Our first stop is Poznan.  Poznan is the 5th largest city in Poland. The bad is we only have an hour which means grab lunch because Colin has to eat all the time!  We had our first argument over eating versus walking around the city.  I will admit that this rubbed me wrong, and I was not nice.  But seriously can you not give up a meal to see the city that we only have one hour to visit?  What little we saw did peak my interest and will definitely add to another trip if in the area.
And I even saw a Polish Pottery shop that I did not get to visit because our time went by so fast!  Not that I needed any but man brings back memories of all those long overnight bus trips to buy pottery.
Back on the road to our next stop Toruń, Poland.  Another city that was cool.  We walked around the main square area and grabbed an ice cream.  Germany ice cream is way better than Poland ice cream! 
Colin was excited to see Dr. Pepper at a candy store but did not buy one!
Back on the road for a short drive to your final destination. 
And we safely arrived to Hotel Hanza in Gdańsk, Poland.  Most of the streets were closed due to an upcoming festival!  The room was huge and right in the heart of Gdańsk!
It was time to explore the city!  Gdańsk is the 6th largest city is Poland.  We had dinner at Mojito Cafe & Restaurant. I went for the traditional Polish pierogi, pork loin and cabbage.  And just as we sat down a huge rain storm hit, and we were soaked. So much for outside dining so we moved inside. 
The rain quickly moved out and we walked around a little bit before heading back to hotel to relax and get ready for bed which we managed to stay up until 930pm! Finally our sleep pattern is getting better.  It was a very long day of sitting!

steps:  8,313
miles:   3.63

No comments:

Post a Comment