Monday, June 24, 2019

Day 2: Washington DC

Our last morning of nothing planned . . . Colin decided to sleep while I headed out to visit two D.C. spots that I have never been too.  We are staying a block off the mall so I have to go see something!  First up was the United States Botanical Gardens.  Man it is super hot!  Thankfully it is a short walk from our hotel but not as short as I thought.  I really did enjoy just walking around admiring the plants and flowers.
My next stop was at the National Museum of the American Indian.  I had been told it was the least exciting of the Smithsonian Museums in D.C. but decided to pop in and see.  It wasn't very thrilling to me but glad I went.  Maybe if I had more time then maybe I would have been more tuned in but well it was a short visit.
It was back to the hotel to pack, get Colin, and change hotels.  It took us forever to get less than 5 miles.  Our first Uber drove circles around our hotel and finally cancelled, our second Uber said he picked us up but did not, and finally our third Uber showed up and delivered us safely to our new hotel.  From the time we checked out of or room at the Hilton Washington DC national Mall to the Sheraton Pentagon City Hotel it took just over an hour and it wasn't traffic related just the Uber issues!  Our time in D.C. was about to get exciting.  As I entered the Sheraton, I started to feel tension and looked around to see if there was anyone that I might know.  Most of the people staying at this hotel were in town for the same event we were.

Let me back up . . . a few weeks ago, I received several emails from people I knew from the Army.  They were letting me know someone (a name that I knew) was trying to get in touch with me.  I wasn't sure what to think . . . why . . . something had to be going on and of course my mind was thinking worst case scenario.  So I sat down and dialed the number of a former soldier that was in Sean's company during Iraq . . . it went to a generic voice mail so I just hung up.  A few hours later I sent a text message with a greeting and saying this is my number give me a call.  Then I sat and waited and wondered.  Shortly there after my phone rang and on the other end was David Bellavia.  To most that name would probably not mean anything but to me I knew.  While I am sure it was an awkward call for him to make and not sure what I would say when he called but for me I really can't describe it.  David was calling to let me know that his Silver Star award from Fallujah, Iraq was being upgraded to the Medal of Honor . . . WOW . . . I was speechless and not sure what to say.  The reason he was calling was to invite Colin (and me) to the ceremony at the White House!  Seriously . . . of course I immediately said absolutely we will be there.  I got what details had been released and hung up the phone.  The rest of the evening I was in shock and emotional and all that comes with news that is amazing.  I mean I know for me it was amazing news but can you imagine how he must be feeling?  The catch was the official announcement had not been made so had to keep to ourselves until the President made the official announcement.   I knew of the incident that he was being awarded the Medal of Honor . . . he wrote a book, House to House, which I started reading but had to stop.  Now I had to decide when and how to tell Colin.  Colin was about to start final exams so I decided to wait a few days not to screw up his mind or grades.  So a few days pass and we are both officially on summer break, I begin to second guess my response to attend . . . would I be able to handle it emotionally . . . would Colin be okay?  I mean he has no memory of his father except what he has been told.  So one night we were in the living room and I just blurted it out to Colin, "you have been invited to a very special event at the White House in three weeks!"  He stopped what he was doing and looked at me and said, "Seriously, what?  With the President?"  I filled him in on the details and asked if he would want to go and without hesitation said, "YES!"  I sure wish I knew what was going on his mind because I know mine was spinning at the thought of attending.

And here we are sitting in a hotel about to experience something that is historic and hopefully healing too.  The view from our hotel room is pretty awesome too . . .
For the next few days we are on a schedule . . . first up is a reception hosted by the Sergeant Major of the Army (SMA Dailey) . . . Colin was just a baby when we were removed from Army life so he has never really been around official events like this.  I tried to prepare him as much as possible but how can a 15 year old boy be prepared to meet some of his father's old soldiers?  Or to meet some high up officials at the Pentagon?  I hoped for the best . . .
Let me say he hosted a great reception!  The food and music were great and it was fun to hang out.  I swear Colin ate 10 pounds of prime rib but he too was enjoying himself.
. . . and then I stood back and watched this . . .
It isn't everyday that you get to meet a remarkably humble man that will receive our nation's highest military award.  I just stood there and realized my son is growing up!  The last 15 years have not been easy.  I have struggled with my own emotions of losing a husband while trying to raise a child alone.  It wasn't always easy . . . lots and lots of tears and stress but in this moment I realized that I/we have done okay.  Maybe I haven't totally screwed him up.  I was impressed as he approached people and shook their hands, he answered questions, and seemed to really enjoy the moment.  I could tell Colin was a bit nervous and uncomfortable around people at the beginning but as the night progressed, he calmed down and handled himself very well.  I was amazed that this young boy that lost his dad at only 10 months old was not a baby any more.  Maybe just maybe being here will provide him with some sort of sense of who his dad was to these guys . . . maybe it will provide him with a sense of what happened to Sean . . . what Sean did as their commander.  I can only hope but so far, I am so glad we are here!  I have loved, loved, loved seeing so many familiar faces and chatting with so many people that I have only known by name.  Tomorrow is the big day . . . but today it all started!

1 comment:

  1. Tears in my eyes reading this - I can't imagine what it was like for you. A jumble of memories, sadness, happiness, pride in Sean and Colin and in yourself - I hope that as all that settles, you find it was a healing experience and gives you a bit more peace in life. ~Sue Kirlin

    ReplyDelete