Saturday, November 23, 2019

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

It seems like it has been forever since we were off on a trip.  Thankfully we both have off school and work the week of Thanksgiving so it was the perfect time to escape from home even if it is just a few days.  Since I waited so late getting a flight to our final destination was a bit of a challenge so we are spending a day in Florida before we head to the real destination.  We arrived after lunch so we only had the afternoon to explore.  I rented a car and after a forever wait in line we were on our way . . . did I mention how much I absolutely hated the rental car?  I had reserved the smallest/cheapest car possible but they were sold out so they gave me a full size Jeep Wrangler.  Colin was excited; me not so much.  I never realized how stinking large these things were.  I felt like we were driving a tank and was not happy in the traffic.  So we headed out to our one and only stop of the day, Hugh Taylor Birch State Park.  It was right across from the beach, had hiking trails and bike rentals too.  I figured we could spend a few hours enjoying the warm sunshine that we have not had in Texas lately.  So we paid our fee, grabbed a quick lunch at the restaurant with live music, and set out to explore a bit.  I loved renting the bikes and riding the loop around the park a few times. . .
. . . and stopping to explore and look for lizards!
 I found it so odd that literally across the street from this was the beach and ocean!
The old trees were so cool . . .
. . . and last we hiked one of the short trails.  I was always alert because I feared some critter jumping out . . .
It was back to the car for a quick stop at Target for all the things we Colin forgot to pack like an extra swim suit!  Tomorrow we fly to our real escape, and I can't wait to return this ridiculously large rental Jeep!

No comments:

Post a Comment