Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Beaver Creek, Colorado day 2

 Another day and another beautiful view . . .
. . . the weather today is suppose to be fabulous with sunshine. Ski school was full so Colin decided he wanted to just ski by himself so we bought a one day lift pass. (Sticker shock but thanks to an amazing military discount it was not bad considering we bought it that day.) I am taking the day off too and headed out on a snow show adventure solo. How sad we are both solo today but as only children we know the drill! This also means we do not have a time to be anywhere so we ate breakfast in the restaurant this morning. I was so thrilled to see these on the morning buffet . . .
. . . they are called Blintzes and sooooo yummy! I think of it as a crepe meets cheesecake and throw some berries on top to make it healthy! We had a nice slow breakfast and chatted about our day ahead before heading off to separate lift areas. Lifts for snow shoeing? Oh yes I found out the snow shoe area was on top of one of the mountains which meant I had to ride an open ski lift while holding my snow shoes (not allowed to wear them) and not falling off the lift because my hands were so full I could not pull down the safety bar. I sort of had a bit of a panic attack just thinking about it! It was awful for me, but I managed to survive and then realized I had to ride it back down! So I find a bench and gear up . . .
. . . only to not find where the actual snow shoe trails were located. It took all I had to not be knocked down by skiers at they exited the lift and whizzed by me. I asked but no one seemed to know so I sort of just wandered around and finally found a sign. By this point I am out of breath, because I am at about 10,000 feet elevation which will zap your energy. Of course the start of the trails were uphill and quickly thought of turning back and quitting but the views were so nice . . . 
. . . so I kept going. Due to the extreme cold, my phone battery died in about 10 seconds but thankfully I had my old school point and shoot camera with me to capture some of the views.  I stopped often to catch my breath and enjoy the trees and snow hoping to see some sort of critters lurking in there . . .
I don't think I smiled much today but I really did enjoy myself and glad that I got outdoors and enjoyed the beauty . . .
My goal was to do Morning Star, Marmot Way, and Ermine's Trail before calling it a day. I managed to do the first two but when I hit Ermine's Trail I just kept going back down to the lift. 
I did stop for a sweet treat at the Candy Cabin . . 
. . . of course the candy was a least five times the normal cost but fun no less to grab a treat after working hard. I grabbed all my stuff and headed back to the ski lift back down. It was worse going down because I was tired and harder to focus on not falling off the lift. I was never so glad to be back at the village and knew that I would not be going on this adventure again. The best part of Colin not being in Ski School was we could meet for lunch and then head off in different directions. We grabbed a bowl of chili at the C Bar and it was yummy!
I headed back to the room to relax and watch mindless television shows since we don't have cable at home), and Colin hit the slopes . . . 
Two things about this photo . . . my snowshoes are in the background . . . and there are blurry spots on the photo because at some point I dropped my camera and it got wet.  I tell you I was a bit of a hot mess on the mountain trying to juggle all my stuff.  Colin racked up some good stats and really had a good day on his own . . .
I find it a bit sad he skied alone but it is part of being an only child. We only children get it; we are used to being alone and adapt. It really was a perfect weather day and of course we ended it at our favorite place . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment