Friday, November 17, 2023

Day 2: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

When I booked this trip just two days before I left, I found it hard to find hotels for two nights at the same hotel that were available on points for free.  The first night was easy but the second night was harder so I had to change hotels.  I packed up and set out to drop my bag at the next hotel, Hyatt Centric Center City Philadelphia.  The room was ready so I went to check it out.
It was very industrial with the concrete ceiling and the view was nice!  I headed out for my first stop by taking a ride share with the plan to walk back.  The Eastern State Penitentiary was built from 1822-1836 and became the model of over 300 prisons worldwide.  It closed in 1971.  
It is massive and a notable former prisoner was Al Capone who was a resident for about seven months.  It was a self-guided audio tour and only allowed in a small area.  I am sure it is because some parts are just not structural safe to wander around. 
 
It was a short walk to my next stop . . .
Can't you just hear the Rocky song in your head?  I know I sure did and couldn't believe there wasn't someone blaring it from a boombox.  Of course, I gave it a brisk walk to the top!
It wasn't that bad and I did feel a bit like a superstar.
And then I realized why the hotels were hard to find . . . the Philadelphia Marathon would take place tomorrow morning!  I sure did plan my days just perfect to avoid this area and the crazy crowds!  I made sure my shoes were tied and set out to walk back to Redding Terminal Market for round 2.  I liked it so much that I was going back.  Today, I would grab a loaded roast pork sandwich at Tommy DiNic's and whoopie pies from Flying Monkey Bakery.  It was so crowded compared to yesterday so I got my food and started walking back to the hotel.  I found an area a few blocks away with tables and sat down.  The weather was sunny and beautiful so perfect for a picnic for one.   
I'm not going to lie that sandwich was huge and sure needed to walk if off . . . thankfully the hotel was about a mile so that was good.  I just hung out at the hotel and watched some mindless television.  I don't have cable at home so it was nice to watch some of my old favorite shows.  I was needing a sweet treat and those whoopie pies were beyond words delicious!  I got two, hot cocoa and maple pumpkin.
The maple pumpkin was soooo yummy!  I walked 12,578 steps or 5.5 miles . . . so not a lot but it sure felt like a lot more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment