Saturday, November 18, 2023

Day 3: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Today is my last day in Philadelphia and since there is very large event I wanted to try and get out of the city.  I found a tour company called WeVenture that had a half day tour to Valley Forge National Historical Park .  It sounded perfect except that would there be enough other people sign up for the tour to actually happen.  As a solo traveler, I find this the hardest part of making plans . . . most organized tours require a minimum number of participants and sometimes it is just me.  Due to the marathon the tour was delayed a bit which made me nervous since I had a flight to catch in the afternoon, but the company was super accommodating and said they would drop me off directly at the airport instead of the middle of Philadelphia.  Much to my surprise I was the only person on the tour and the guide told me that this company, WeVenture, ran tours as long as someone signed up.  Well isn't that nice!  So after a lot of traffic, detours, and closed streets we finally made it to Valley Forge National Historical Park.  
I am not a history buff but do enjoy learning.  Tom, the guide, was very knowledgeable and gave me a good overview.  We stopped at the visitor center which was very nice and newly updated and then we started the driving tour.  It was a sunny day with a brisk breeze and that jacket left behind in my car at the airport would have been very nice at this point!  We stopped from time to time to discuss the area and look at some of the reconstructed structures.  I was amazed that the park was about 3,600 acres. 
George Washington (and Martha too) lived, slept, and worked here.
. . . and just like that it was time to catch a flight back home!

No comments:

Post a Comment