Thursday, March 7, 2024

AZ Road Trip Day 6: The Road Trip Ends

It is spring baseball training in Arizona and the plan was to catch a game however torrential rains decided to spoil those plans so we had to find an indoor activity. As many times as I have been to Phoenix, I have never been to the Heard Museum. I think it is a must visit if you have time. I really enjoyed the local artwork. 

But the best exhibit was about the American Indians boarding school exhibit. It was educational and eye opening. I do not remember learning about this growing up but glad I know now.

Since its opening in 2000, Remembering Our Indian School Days: The Boarding School Experience has become the Heard Museum's most visited and thematically powerful exhibition. It was the first major exhibition to explore the complex histories surrounding the United States' government efforts during the 19th and 20th centuries to educate and "assimilate" American Indian students through the controversial and often tragic practice of removing children from their families and forcibly placing them in boarding schools. Generations of students attended these schools before advocacy efforts succeeded in reforming them.

My friends dropped me at my hotel for the night before my morning flight tomorrow. Just as I was about to relax, I get this notification.
Of course, my flight is cancelled! Ugh, what a headache! I was originally to fly from Phoenix to Dallas to Waco and drive across town to my house but due to a system glitch I could not get just a flight from Phoenix to Dallas until Sunday. So, thankfully I had a small stash of Southwest points and was able to book a flight from Phoenix to Austin, rent a car, drive 96 miles to Waco, pick up my car, and drive across town to my house. It sounded so easy and it was until I got to the Waco airport and my car was dead! I was so frustrated. A big storm was rolling in so I called my parents to come jump my car, drive across town to get a new car battery and then finally home!

Sidenote: When I booked my return flight home from Phoenix to Waco, I was a bit taken back by the flight times.  11:13 is the month and day Sean died and 6:27 is the month and day we were married! Of course I should have known it was a sign for something to go wrong . . . and it did!

No comments:

Post a Comment