Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Day 3 Utah Road Trip

Well good morning Monument Valley! The sun was so bright at 645am. I am not a huge breakfast person but since I was going on a three hour tour decided to go grab a light snack. I was there as it opened and I have never seen grown adults fight over a prepackaged muffin or rubbery pancake! The free continental breakfast was a herd of people who seemed to not have eaten in days. I have never seen grown adults be so pushy for subpar food that was not anything to get excited about that is for sure. I grabbed a bagel and brewed me some fresh tea and headed back to my room. I have two hours until my tour so I took my hot tea to my room and made it iced tea. Perfect! One thing I miss when I travel is brewed iced tea . . . none of that Gold Peak or Arizona fake stuff for me; I want the fresh stuff which means that I often make my own hot tea and find an ice machine to make it iced. I checked out of the hotel and made my way to the tour waiting area. So anyway . . . I decided to take a guided tour of Monument Valley so I could enjoy and not have to drive! I booked a three hour tour with Tribal Tours and the guide Jameson was excellent! He was a great storyteller and his musical skills were amazing. The tour went off the beaten path to areas only allowed with guided tours so I did not have to drive the entire loop which was fine. Our guide told great stories and many related to music and weather. I learned the 
flute=wind            drum=thunder        rattle=rain  
The guide took a fun photo with time lapse . . . I don't know how to do all that but appreciated him taking the photo.
It was back on the road and I was a bit hungry. Of course I stopped at Twin Rocks CafĂ© because it was so good yesterday. I love a good Navajo Taco and well it is Tuesday so Taco Tuesday it was!
I had one last detour to visit Newspaper Rock Petroglyphs. It was a bit far off my travel path but glad I made the effort. There was only one other family there so it was nice.
This was probably one of the best preserved site I have ever seen. When  I make random detours like this it makes me wonder what else is out there that has yet to be discovered? This was literally in the middle of nowhere on a  backroad to a national park but if not for this road, would this have ever been discovered? It has been a long couple of days driving. I am so excited to be at the same hotel the next two nights! I have been to Moab before but I am amazed at how much it has changed and grown . . . a bit too much actually as it was busy with traffic! I was in bed super early which was fine by me.
Driving Map Day 3

No comments:

Post a Comment