Saturday, September 7, 2024

Day 1: boarding the Jewel of the Seas

And I am off to the boat which apparently is offensive to some because it’s really a ship.  There was a major delayed boarding due to US Coast Guard inspection.  Let me just tell you all the regulars were complaining big time about the delayed boarding so I just hung out at my hotel as long as I could. 
By the time I arrived, it was not bad at all.  I am on board the Jewel of the Seas for the next 15 nights.  I quickly dropped my bags and set out to explore. I packed super light with just a carry-on bag and backpack which required a bit of planning for an 18-day trip.  My home for the next 15 nights.
The Jewel of the Seas is a much smaller ship than my last cruise but it is a good size.  I am so excited about this cruise itinerary.
With everything in travel there is a group with top tier status and they love to show it by wearing their gold name tags. I think it is ridiculous but whatever makes you happy.  I was on the elevator that was full of people and was not paying attention to people getting off and on the elevator.  As the door closed one of the ladies with her gold name tag looked at me a scolded me for not holding the elevator door for the other gold tag lady trying to get on.  I was shocked someone would scold me and was a bit taken back.  I am a respectful person and was not paying attention.  It bothered me the rest of the day . . . anyway I tried to figure out the main spots on the ship. It is so easy to get turned around! It was sail away time. Good bye Boston!
The population on this cruise is interesting.  I would estimate at least 75% of the passengers are over 65.  There are a handful of children and not many my age or younger.  The day was going by so quickly that it was dinner time so a quick change for my two-person table for one.  I called it a night by hanging out in my cabin watching the movie Mr. Church which was a total tear jerker movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment