Friday, September 6, 2024

Salem, Massachusetts

Today I am heading out of town and the plan is to take the commuter train to Salem . . . trying new things is not fun but thankfully I went early and it was super easy to figure out. I bought my one way ticket on my phone for $8, scanned, and hopped on the train. I do not know why I was so worried since I have taken trains all over Europe but new things that I do not do often are sometimes a tad overwhelming. It was a quick 30 minute ride to Salem.  The first stop was the Witch House . . .
I have wanted to visit Salem for a while but I must admit my first impression of Salem is a bit kooky. I was hoping for historic but what I notice are all the adults dressed up and touristy shops that are witchy.  Anyway, I am glad I am here and going to enjoy the day.  My map skills were a bit rusty and I was turned around but finally found my food stop, A&J King Artisan Bakery, for a crimson berry iced tea and the best olive tomato feta pastry. Yum.
I had energy to begin my walking tour and set off to Old Burning Point Cemetery.
I noticed a National Park sign so popped into Salem Maritime National Historic Site which I had no idea even existed.  
I learned it was once on of the busiest ports for luxury goods and in 1938 the first national historic site in the United States.  A few of the historic buildings were open.  Custom House and Public Stores (1819) . . . 
Derby House (1762) . . . 
Back on the walking tour to House of Seven Gables . . .
Salem Witch Trials Memorial . . . 
Bridget Bishop was the first person executed by hanging for witchcraft on June 10, 1692.
I took some time to watch the movies at the Salem Armory (part of National Park Historic Site) that was under renovations.  The movie gave me a refresher of the Puritans and how they treated the natives when settled the area.  And more about Salem and Essex County before it was known for witchcraft.  This area of Massachusetts was an industrial area with fishing and factories but not so much now.

I had done about all I wanted to do in town but the train would not be here for a bit so had a nice lunch outside at Turner’s Seafood. 
There are no words . . . 
YUMMY!  There was no way I could pass up a lobster roll.  It was back to the train station to return to Boston.  I enjoyed the evening relaxing at the Hyatt Centric Faneuil Hall Boston, great location!

No comments:

Post a Comment