Monday, August 1, 2011

Sequoia National Park, CA

Need I say more? Where to begin? I am so excited about the next week of our trip. We arrived earlier than expected so decided to take advantage and spend a few hours in the park. What we did not realize was that there was major road construction inside the park entrance we entered . . . they only allowed traffic to pass at the top of the hour. Of course that was 55 minutes away so we sat in the line waiting, walking around the car, eating snacks, and mapping out the hiking trail we would take. Our first stop was at the Giant Forest Museum . . . which took about 15 minutes. The ranger suggested taking the Crescent Meadow trail which would be an easy 1.8 mile hike for the child. We stowed our food in bear boxes, grabbed water, strapped on the binoculars, found a walking stick, and headed out . . .

The sequoia trees were amazing . . . SO HUGE . . . photos don't even begin to show how large and tall they were . . . and these are the 'small' trees in the park.
. . . maybe a photo with people in them will show how big the trees really are . . .

Tharp Log . . .


Chimney Tree . . .


Every step I took I was just amazed at the pure beauty around me . . . just no words. After we finished the hike we drove under Tunnel Log and stopped to take a photo . . .
And then we moved on to Moro Rock which was only a hike of .3 miles but 400 winding steps so it was considered a strenuous hike. I wasn't sure I was going to even attempt but figured it was probably the only time I will be here in my lifetime so got to climbing! Well, and I wasn't going to let the 7 year old out do me. Here is a picture of Moro Rock as we sat in line waiting to enter the road construction area . . . little did I know I would climb to the top of it . . .
We made it to the top . . .

. . . and the views were beautiful. We were 'walking' on top of the trees so to speak. I was freaking out the entire time because the rails were low and either of us could have slipped and fallen a long, long way down. Taking a break because the day was done . . .
. . . Colin did a great job and never complained on the walks! So just one more peak at those beautiful trees!It was time to leave the park which meant more waiting in line for the on the hour departure. Our hotel was outside the park in Three Rivers which has not much to offer . . . we did manage to find a pizza place for dinner and head across the street to the hotel. So glad we are staying inside the park tomorrow! Oh and no bear sighting today . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment