Saturday, March 10, 2012

Arizona Adventure day 2

The rental needed some gas and the cheapest I could find was $3.89 . . . ouch! It was brisk outside but the sky was so beautiful and blue too! We had a short drive to our first stop:
Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument . . .
We walked the Lava Flow Trail and thought these trees were cool . . . maybe it was the angle or triangle they formed? Can you tell what the math kids were studying before break?
Colin turned in his Junior Ranger booklet and earned his badge for this park (#2 this trip) . . . it had some difficult questions but the Park Ranger helped him find the answers . . . he did not want my help since I didn't really know the answer; my excuse? I'm on break, LOL. We continued driving around the loop road for about 15 miles and the scenery changed quickly from the black lava rocks at Sunset Crater Volcano to the red rocks of Wupatki National Monument . . .
Colin thought this 'blowhole' was fun and yes that is what it was called!
Yes, Junior Ranger badge number 3 was earned today too! We waited way too long for lunch but there was no where around to eat; we were literally in the middle of nowhere. We pulled into The Historic Cameron Trading Post Restaurant at 3pm where I had a mini Navajo Taco . . .
Yes, that is a mini and it was HUGE! A short drive for the big show . . .
. . . our first look at the Grand Canyon . . .
. . . and a fun photo that I did not know Colin took . . .
We climbed to the top of the Watch Tower . . .
. . . and yes I was scared of heights like I am always but the views were amazing. We made the drive to Grand Canyon Village to check in to our hotel, El Tovar . . .

. . . top notch I tell you. After I checked in we were assigned a guy to show us our room. He took us and showed us how everything inside the room worked; sweet indeed. I looked out the window and we were right on the rim of the Grand Canyon . . .



The room was super small but we were at the Grand Canyon! I could have thrown a rock and over it would have gone! We grabbed a quick dinner in the lounge area and back to the room to plan for our big day at the Grand Canyon!

No comments:

Post a Comment