Sunday, June 17, 2012

Day 5: Durango to Moab

We left Colorado and arrived in . . .
Of course there were many more hours of sunlight so we got right to business . . . oh and it was HOT . . . I mean super HOT!  Our first stop was Arches National Park . . . okay so arriving at 2:30pm and starting a hike with little to no shade was not the best idea but time in Moab is limited and so much to do!  I really, really wanted to hike to Delicate Arch (shown on the Utah sign above and the states iconic image) but it was over 3 miles and HOT!  So instead we went to the Devils Garden Trailhead to hike to Landscape Arch . . .  
. . . interesting story about Landscape Arch . . . in 1991 a 60 foot rock slab weighing 180 tons fell from the arch while tourists were visitng and it was all caught on film; amazing no one was hurt!  It is still huge but if that happens again the arch could be no more.  I know it doesn't look that big in the photo but the arch is about 290 feet long and only 6 feet thick.  Hard to believe and even standing there looking at it you can't get how large it is.  On the hike back I got a little too hot and had to stop.  It was hard to find shade but we all managed while I recovered.  It was what made me realize there was no way we could hike to Delicate Arch!  We drank tons of water which really did help.
I lauged because my parents (both in their 60s) managed to hike with no problems.  Oh well at least I was well enough to explore more of the park.  We drove around a lot and really appreciated the fact there was very little traffic . . . probably because it was so stinking HOT . . . we found a short trail to Delicate Arch . . .
and Double Arch . . .
and Balanced Rock . . .
All decked out to recieve his second Junior Ranger badge of the trip!
It was time to head to the hotel and get all the red dust off us before dinner.  We headed into town and had dinner at Pasta Jay's . . . I was SO good!!!  We were all hot and ready to kick back and relax . . . fun adventure tomorrow that has me very eager.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Heidi, Thanks so much for sharing your trip. What wonderful memories you are making for your son. I'm taking my sons out to Yellowstone in a few weeks and will be stopping by Moab, could you tell me where you stayed in Moab and if you would recommend it?

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moab was a great small town. We stayed at the Hampton Inn. It was too far to walk into town but very easy to find parking. There were tons of place and stated at Hampton because I found a really good deal ($98/night). I have reservations for Yellowstone for June 2013! If you do a post trip review, let me know I would love to read it! Oh and do eat at Pasta Jay's if you like Italian!

    ReplyDelete