Saturday, July 7, 2012

Alaska day 8

Today I leave town . . . my flight is technically tomorrow at 1:30 am but have to be at the airport before midnight.  I think we have about hit the highlights of Fairbanks but saw a brochure for the UAF Large Animal  Research Station on the UAF campus.  It sounded like something I would enjoy so off we went. 
Do you know what animal that is on the postcard below?
It is a baby Musk Ox.  I had no idea either so my curiosity was sparked to really see these animals.  We arrived for the tour with a dozen other people and our guide was very knowledgeable and funny too. She really knew her stuff and was very passionate about caring for these animals.  It was a working/research farm so we walked down a path to the area where you could get closer to the animals.  I think I'm in love with these animals . . .
This is an adult female.  I was amazed at how short they were but they can run fast.  They aren't the prettiest animals but I could watch them all day.  I did not get a photo of them with their babies but they were cute too.  This map shows just how rare they are and probably why I have never seen one in person.
It was worth the time and money . . . it all goes back to research so nice to know too.  Maybe I could put my Agriculture degree to work here?  One last thing that was interesting was they sold the qiviut (pronounced kiv-ee-ut) that they shed each year.  It was the softest thing I have ever felt . . . it was very, very expensive due to the rarity, softness, and warmth . . . it was sold by the gram so that tells you a little for a lot of $$$.  They had a hat and scarf set for sale that was $260!  It was so soft and warm but could not even think about paying that amount. 

I had read about a farmers market on Saturday morning so headed out to find it.  WOW, I was impressed with all the stuff set up.  I was expecting about 10 booths of junk but quality food and local products.  It was a beautiful sunny day so maybe why it was so crowded.  We bought some caribou sausage for my dad.  I was surprised how good it tasted!  I'm not a wild game type of meat eater.  Headed to downtown Fairbanks to the Yukon Quest Museum that was not really a museum but a gift shop.  The funny thing was as soon as I walked in I saw that couple from the Arctic Circle trip.  I laughed and avoided them!  The downtown area so was dead and hardly anyone out and about for such a beautiful Saturday afternoon.  I guess all the cruise land tour people hadn't arrived yet?  I was hungry so we headed over to The Pump House for a late lunch.  I really liked the place and would like to go back and eat in the restaurant instead of the bar.  Great views!  It was going to be a long day tomorrow flying back home so decided to take a long nap!  Probably not the best idea since I should just sleep on the flights home, but I was tired.  I headed to the airport around 11:30pm and finally got to see an Alaskan sunset as we boarded the plane around 1am.   


I can't wait to return in the winter . . . I'm certain I will not enjoy the extreme cold temperatures.  

No comments:

Post a Comment