Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Day 1: Madrid, Spain

I have arrived in Madrid, Spain!  I am so excited to visit a new city.  I am tired!  The flight was really bumpy but was able to nap off and on.  I sat next to a kid that was about 7 and he drank about that many Coca Cola too.  He was good and never bothered me.  The food was awful!  Did I mention I am in Madrid, Spain?  It was weird to be here alone.  I grabbed a cab and headed to my hotel . . . I must admit all the emotions of being in a place that brings me great joy sort of got to me.  I don't know how to explain it but life in Europe is just different.  I miss it terribly and so excited to be here for a couple of weeks.  I was glad to arrive at my hotel as the taxi driver was a bit crazy and scared me.  When I arrived at the hotel my upgraded room was not ready . . . I just wanted a room so they downgraded me which was fine with me.  I wanted a shower and to drop my luggage so I could head out to explore.  The one way to beat jet lag is to get out and not stay in the hotel room because you will sleep!  Taking a nap is a total no no.

I decided I wasn't in the mood to visit museums so off I went to the Puerta del Sol area and was it hot!  I found a cafe with shade, outside seating and ordered me a snack.
Churros with hot chocolate, a cafe con leche, and fresh squeezed orange juice; too bad it was only a shot.  I just sat there and admired the beautiful buildings.  This one was amazing . . .
You know what it was?  Steak and Shake no joke!  I decided to try to visit the Prado Museum but the line was way too long and honestly the thought of a museum wasn't there so instead headed to the Real Jardin Botanico de Madrid (Botanical Gardens) which was beautiful.
Now I am trying to avoid taking a nap but when in Spain it pretty much shuts down for siesta time so when in Spain you must take a siesta.  It was a great siesta but made myself get up and find a cafe for a light dinner and to just sit, relax, and enjoy.  The last time I was in Spain (2003) I drank way too much sangria . . .  this was just as yummy and the jamon (ham) sandwich was so good too.
Now if you have read any thing on my other blog you know that I am a firm believer in signs.  I am always wondering if I am making the best choices in my life and if Sean would approve.  There are times that a sign will pop up and make me smile.  As I sat at the outside cafe listening to live music and thinking how lucky I am to be on this trip, I saw it!  How ironic that my sangria was delivered in a Guinness pint glass?  There is also the napkin with the squirrel drinking a beer too . . . two signs that made me smile for different reason and get a bit teary eyed too.  I realized it's all good . . . while I have had to deal with some very emotional situations in life, life is good and it will only get better.  It's all good!  I enjoyed the walk back to the hotel and had yet another amazing shower and was in bed by 8pm.
I can only guess what time I will wake in the morning.  Maybe the jet lag won't bother me!

1 comment:

  1. Heidi, I totally understand about signs. I occasionally will have a sign from my husband who passed 11 years ago. It's a smile and a sad emotion all at the same time. But you are right, life is good and will continue to get better! Your travelling is an inspiration and I truly always enjoy reading about your adventures. I hope to someday expand my travels to outside the US and Canada. Keep on keepin' on! :)

    ReplyDelete