Saturday, March 3, 2018

Texas Road Trip: Spring Break day 1

We start the morning with a quick shopping trip for all the things I forgot to pack.  I find it funny that a road trip in the car with a lot of space, and I still forgot a few items.  Our first stop is just outside of Abilene called Fort Phantom Hill, which is on the Texas Forts Trail.  From 1848 to 1900, the U.S. Army built 44 major posts and set up more than 100 temporary camps in Texas.  Who knew?  I just read about this place and wanted to check it out.  It is literally in the middle of nowhere and you just explore on your own.  I was impressed and thought it was super cool.  GPS was not our friends but I was determined and after the third try found it. 
We continued on our way with a stop in Sweetwater, Texas at the National WASP WWII Museum.  Colin has always been fascinated with WWII so thought this would be perfect.  We  have driven by this on other trips but the timing never worked out so we made a stop to stretch our legs and check it out.
It was back on the road . . . lots of wind farms . . .
 . . . and oil farms . . .
I was getting tired of driving so stopped for an unhealthy snack.  Isn't that what a road trip is all about?
It is about the only thing I will eat at the golden arches!  It was back on the road with the end of our day so close to ending.  We arrived in Lubbock, Texas and called it a day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment