Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Staycation Day 1

I am finally feeling great and have time before my next trip so decided to explore around our town.  I often think as tourist we forget that our own town has much to offer.  I can't tell you how many times I have asked locals while traveling, what their favorite place to visit or their favorite restaurant is in the town they live only to be met with a blank stare.  I have been caught off guard too.  So after some online searching I have a list of places to visit over the summer months.  I decided to start my day with a late breakfast at a place called Butter My Biscuit . . .
Now the location is a bit odd . . . it is inside of a gaming store . . . I learned the husband runs the gaming/comic book store and the wife has the restaurant.  It really turned out to be no big deal but was concerned at first.  I always have a hard time the first visit to a new place.  Menus can be overwhelming so decided to rely on the waitress for a recommendation.  She said I should try the Boss Boy and add a scoop of fierce pimento cheese.  Well then that is what I ordered, and she was right; it was good.  I would compare it to a breakfast bowl with a cut up biscuit, scrambled eggs, bacon, gravy, roasted potatoes, and pimento cheese on top.  It sounds weird but each item so so good and fresh.  As I was about to leave she suggested I taste today's mini cupcake, raspberry with brown butter icing, for only $1.  I thought why not?
Let me say that brown butter icing was heaven, and I considered licking the bit that was left on the plate.

My next stop is on the campus of Baylor University at the Mayborn Museum Complex.  They have a fabulous museum that covers the local area with a children museum too.  We used have a membership and spent a lot of time there when Colin was younger as it was a great place for kids to play and learn.  They currently have a special exhibition.
It was worth my visit even if it was a bit expensive in my opinion.  When you enter the exhibit you are given a boarding card of an actual passenger . . .
. . . at the end of the exhibit you can check and see if your passenger survived.  There were no photos allowed but did learn a few interesting facts.
  • First Class ticket cost $2,500 which is about $57,200 today!
  • Third Class ticket cost $40 which is about $900 today.
  • Third Class passengers shared a room with 4 strangers per cabin.
  • There were 2 bathtubs for 700 passengers in 3rd class.
10:55pm on April 14, 1912:  first warning of sea ice . . . they did not have binoculars in the lookout area . . . we all know how it turned out!
The artifacts on display were amazing and shocked that most were in great shape.  My passenger survived!

It was time to carry on with my trip around town with a stop for a sweet treat at Heritage Creamery.  I couldn't pick just one flavor . . . plus 2 is better than 1 . . . so blueberry cobbler and brown butter pecan!  Perfect for a super hot summer day in Texas!

No comments:

Post a Comment