Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Staycation Day 2

another day . . . another trip around town
I have decided to try and visit one new restaurant and one new place each day of my staycation!  Today I was most excited about the food!  I have been reading about a new BBQ food truck for several months but honestly just don't go to the other side of town very often . . . I will get to that in a minute!  Guess Family BBQ has not only received rave reviews on a local Aggie message board but also from a BBQ guru writer for Texas Monthly magazine.  It has become so popular they run out of food quickly so knew I had to be there when they opened.

Of course I arrived early so decided to make the short walk to another place that has received huge national attention.  Have you heard of a show called Fixer Upper on HGTV?  I laugh when I read about people flying from all over the US to visit The Silos in Waco, Texas.  It amazes me but Chip and Joanna Gaines have helped revitalize the downtown area of Waco.  I had to go see first hand what all the hype was about at The Silos.  It has been open for two years and this is my first visit.
They have done a great job that is inviting even if it is almost 100 degrees outside!  I walked around and popped into the shops.  I have officially check that block off my list!  There are also several antique shops along my walk back so stopped inside to escape the pounding sun.  So are these really popular antiques now days?
It was nearing BBQ time so walked back to the Guess Family BBQ food trailer.  As I get closer the smell is just so amazing and has my mouth watering!  I was first in line today . . .
I sort of went overboard.  I ordered a rib, slice of brisket, sausage link, potato salad, cheesy grits, pickles, onions, jalapenos, and an ice cold Dr. Pepper in a glass bottle . . . hey Dr. Pepper originated in Waco!  The food was excellent but not cheap.  The meat was fall off the bone tender and just melted in my mouth!  I don't mind paying if the food is good!  I left satisfied and with some food to go too!  I was super full but wanted a sweet treat so walked back to Silos Baking Company at Magnolia Land for cupcakes to go . . . I was so close and since it is all we ever hear about I had to try them . . .
The line was long but very organized and moved quickly.
Peach Cobbler and Pink Lemonade . . . they were just okay.  I headed back home for a quick nap before ending my day with a massage.  I can't let the day end with at least mentioning what was really on my mind today and heavy on my heart too . . .
. . . 20 years ago this is what I was doing!  It is still hard to believe but forever on my mind and in my heart too!

1 comment:

  1. Your wedding picture brought tears to my eyes. What a lovely picture. I've been a widow now for 12 years, forever a hole in my heart as I'm sure it is for you too.

    ReplyDelete