Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Iceland day 2

I managed to sleep until 5:30am which I think was good.  Now I did have a few wake ups but manged to fall back asleep which is good.  I went downstairs for breakfast and also packed my lunch from the breakfast buffet too.  My tour pick up is right outside the hotel at 8am.  I am on a super long 15 hour bus tour to the south coast.  This is the one tour that I am most excited!  It will be a super long day but am so excited!  Our first stop was Seljalandsfoss . . .

The down the road to Skogafoss . . .
The sheep were just graving on the hillside . . .
. . . and the cows too!
These animals have the most awesome views!  It was time for a lunch stop in Vik Village.  Since I packed my lunch, I headed to the beach to enjoy the views on the black sand beach . . .
The one thing about this super long day tour is that the guide makes a lot of stops to see things along the way.  It really does help break up the long bus ride.  Our tour group is only 18 people so that has been nice too.  Some of the stops are just a couple of minutes which is really all you need to look at two glaciers in the distance . . .
And then finally we reach the farthest point for our tour and the part that I was most excited about and the reason I took this tour . . . Diamond Beach!
. . . and across the road to Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon . . . where we would take a boat tour around the lagoon area and get up close with the ice.  It was really cool!
And just like that we turned around to make the super long drive back to Reykjavik but with stops at a lava field that was covered with moss . . . the moss was super soft and bouncy . . .
. . . to see Icelandic Horses up close . . . these horses are a lot smaller than most and have an interesting history.  They are shipped all over the world but once they leave Iceland they are not allowed to return due to fear of them bringing back a disease.  They do not vaccinate the horses in Iceland.  They were small and super friendly!
Reynisfjara Basalt Sea Stacks . . .
Reynistjara Black Sand Beach . . .
No more stops and it was back on the road to Reykjavik . . . hard to believe we have been on this tour for 15 hours!  What is best after a super long day?
The shower was amazing and slipped into bed super tired!

No comments:

Post a Comment