Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Iceland day 3

Since yesterday was a very long day, I had planned a laid back day . . . which means I had planned absolutely nothing but had a list of possible places to visit.  I started with a healthy breakfast!  European breakfast are so awesome once you get used to them!
My day would be spent exploring the city of Reykjavik.  My first stop would be a free walking tour by City Walk.  I signed up online for the 11am tour and off I went to the meeting point.  The two hour tour is free and if you wish to give a tip at the end that is all it cost.  Our tour made stops at the  . . .
Parliament Building . . .
Iceland gained its independence on June 17, 1944.  It was raining but the walk continued.  It was nice outside.  A stop at The Pond . . . so original with the name!
A half man walking somewhere . . .
A walk around the cute neighborhoods near the city center . . .
Ingolfur Arnarson . . . he and his crew were the first permanent settlers in Iceland . . .
Harpa Concert Hall . . . the color window tiles are said to represent the Northern Lights when the sun hits the windows . . . there was no sun the week I was there!
The tour was over so decided to go have a quick lunch at Bæjarins Beztu.  
Bill Clinton made this place famous when he visited Iceland in 2004.  Our guide said when Clinton visited he proclaimed, "it was the best hot dog he had every had."  The guide said it must be true, because we all know Bill Clinton doesn't lie.  Our tour group let out a big laugh!  She also told us the hot dog is 70% lamb and 30% unknown just like all hot dogs, you never know what you are eating.  I will say it was good . . . I don't like hot dogs and I don't like lamb but just had to try it!

I decided to continue my walk to the harbour area to see if it was possible to do a last minute boat tour to see puffins.  I love puffins!  The first place, Mr. Puffins Express Bird Watching Tours Reykjavik, I stopped had a tour in about an hour and had an open spot.  I sign up and walked around until it was tour time.  The best part about this tour was the RIB boat only held 12 people so that was great!  We geared up and off we went.  The islands were only about a 5 minute ride, and I could not believe how many puffin we saw in a short period of time!
 
It was back to the harbor . . . 
I might have taken a ton of photos!  The tour was worth it and decided to have an afternoon break.  I stopped by Apotek for a sweet treat of Caramel Crankie and Cappuccino . . .
The city of Reykjavik is very easy to walk.  It seems that nothing is more than a 20 minute walk so off to check out one more place.  One of the landmarks of Reykjavik is the Hallgrímskirkja . . .
It seemed no matter where I went around town I could always see part of the church.  I paid to go to the top for the view of the city . . .
You can see it at just about any place in the city.  Then back to the hotel.  Each night at 6pm the hotel has a sampling of a local food and beverage.  Tonight I was actually there so went to have a taste.  It was a local baked cheese with honey on toast and the local beer Gull . . .
As I had my snack I noticed a lot of records and a sign about them having record players to check out and take to your room.  I saw this one and knew I had to do it!
This was the first movie I ever saw in a movie theater!  What a cool idea . . . plus there were hundreds of records to pick from too!

Facts of the Day:

When you have a child there is a pre-approved list of names that you must pick from so no creative names.  If you want to request a creative name there is a committee of people you must go before to get approval. This applies for horse names too.

Top Industry in Iceland
tourism
fishing
aluminum

No one expects tips . . no signs and no mention except free tour which is understandable

2/3 of Icelanders live in Reykjavik

No comments:

Post a Comment