Sunday, July 8, 2018

to Iceland

I am off for my solo trip of the summer.  Of course I was super early to the airport but you just never know how security is going to be especially the weekend near a major summer holiday.  I was stuck in a window seat so continued to check the app for an aisle seat with no luck!  So I sat and waited . . .
. . . as I waited I realized I forgot to throw in the adapter for my phone to use my ear buds.  So I quickly set out to see if I could find one in the airport terminal that was reasonable.  I was surprised that there was a store that only had them marked up a few dollars.  I needed them because I knew the plane did not have those in seat entertainment screens but was suppose to be able to use my phone to stream movies for free so the adapter was a must if I wanted to hear the movie.  My plan is to sleep but just in case I need a back up plan.

I am so excited to finally be visiting Iceland!  I have had this trip on my radar for a long time but it just has never worked out.  The main reason is that there were no direct flights from where I live so knew it would be a long flight with a connection along the way.  Now there are three airlines that fly direct from DFW to Reykjavik!  Iceland is expensive . . . like I keep reading it is super expensive so was going to try to do the trip as cheap as possible.  I stalked online fares for weeks and one day on American Airlines it popped up for $515 . . . I put it on hold for 24 hours and got busy looking for a hotel.  Since I am a loyal Hilton Honors person, I knew I wanted to stay at a Hilton property which there are three in Reykjavik.  So here is my problem . . .
If I want to pay for the room it will cost me around $550 for each night which adds up to over $2700.  This cost is totally not in my budget BUT if I book the room on points it cost me $0!  If you book with points the 5th night is free so for 280,000 points (70,000 points per night for first four nights) I booked five nights at the Canopy by Hilton Reykjavik City Centre for absolutely $0!  It almost seems to good to be true doesn't it?  So two of the biggest expenses for travel, flight and hotel, are only costing me a little over $500 which I think is a total deal!

Oh and the weather forecast isn't looking that great either . . .
. . . well the temperatures look awesome and are about half of what we are having in Texas so that is a welcome change!  I am prepared and have packed two pair of waterproof shoes/boots, waterproof jacket and pants and well it doesn't matter though because I'm going to ICELAND!!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment