Friday, November 9, 2018

California: Disneyland

So the good thing about traveling to California from Texas is the time difference really works in your favor.  I was up super early!  I tried several times to go back to sleep and finally just got up and headed out for the main gate of Disneyland!  Today my goal is to ride every ride!  Sadly, my absolute favorite ride, Matterhorn Bobsleds, is closed for refurbishment.  Total Bummer!  So the gates officially open at 7:45am and rope drop is at 8:00am.  I arrive at 7:00am and wait in the already longish line just to scan my ticket and wait for the official opening.  What else do I have to do?  I get in and quickly load my MaxPass because today I am going to use it all day long and hopefully to my advantage.  Usually there are photographers at the front to take photos but not today which is a bummer!  When the rope drops people go nuts and head right for Fantasyland . . . you really have to watch because it is the double stroller brigade and they are on a mission and will run you over.  The line for one of the most popular rides, Peter Pan's Flight, is easily over 100 people within 5 minutes so I go next door to Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and walk on.  If you have ever been to a Disney Park you know it's all about strategy.  In fact in 40 minutes, I rode all ten the rides in Fantasyland except Peter Pan . . . will catch it later in the day!  I even had time for a chat with Tinkerbell at Pixie Hollow.   
 . . . and another photo . . . which was free to download with MaxPass!
I continue to add to my MaxPass reservations which is super cool!  I add and cancel and change my MaxPass times a lot and the cycle continues and let me tell you this is the best $10 I have ever spent at a Disney park.  However, I can see if you are a larger group that it would be expensive.  Since Fantasyland was all done, I moved on to Tomorrowland and then to Adventureland where my life was changed.
That my friends is a Dole Whip Float . . . pineapple ice cream with pineapple juice!  I have been to several Disney parks and never, ever had a Dole Whip . . . NEVER!  Let me tell you I inhaled it because either I was super hungry or it was so yummy.  The plan was to enjoy it while watching one of my other favorites, Enchanted Tiki Room, but it was gone way before the doors even opened!  The Tiki Room is still just like it has always been . . . so outdated but so original and great!  I hope they never ever change it because it really is a classic!  So then it was back to checking off more rides in Critter CountryNew Orleans Square, another Dole Whip float, Adventureland, back to Fantasyland to fly with Peter Pan, Mickey's Toontown where all the littles were gone for the day so it was nice to not have a million strollers to dodge or crying kids, and last Frontierland,   . . . love Big Thunder Mountain Railroad which has been closed every time I tried to ride.
I had rode almost all the rides and was getting tired and it was only 5:30pm.  By this time it was getting late and dark.  I had put off all day eating a real meal . . . I kept telling myself just one more ride and well I am starving!  I really want to try more of the tasty food at the Festival of Holidays at California Adventure so that is exactly what I do.  Since my ticket is a park hopper, I can go back and forth between both parks all I want! 
top left:  Reuben Potato Tots with Russian Dressing and Rye Toast
top right:   Cornbread Cakes with Collard Greens topped with Bacon Gravy
bottom left:  Holiday Stuffing Mac and Cheese
bottom right:  Turkey and Stuffing Tamale with Cranberry Relish
middle:  Hot Cocoa Marshmallow Macaroon

Well . . . overall the food wasn't as tasty as last night but the Cornbread Cakes were amazing!  While that macaroon is really pretty it was not good at all!  When I left Disneyland, I had planned to go eat and head back to the hotel but the thought of missing a few rides bothered me so I hopped back over to Disneyland to finish off riding the last few rides!  I rode all the rides that were open . . . some were closed for the season or refurbishment, but I rode them all but one!  I could have rode it but honestly the thought of getting wet and walking back to the hotel was not what I had in mind plus it was dark and cool so I talked myself out of it.  Sorry, Splash Mountain . . . next time I promise because I really, really do love the ride and all the cute critters!  I detoured through the mass of people camped out for the fireworks to get a photo of the Sleeping Beauty's Castle . . .
Today was the first official day of all the holiday decorations and they were so pretty.  And that was all I had . . . well sort of because I had to walk right by the Dole Whip place to exit so I pulled up the Disneyland App and with Mobile Ordering (which is FREE and so amazing!) placed my order for my third Dole Whip Float, walked by the 30 people in line waiting to order and picked up my float in less than a minute.  Seriously, it was that easy and that fast.   My Dole Whip Floats sort of show exactly how I felt as the day progressed . . .
On my way out, I stopped in to watch a showing of Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln . . . thankfully I did not fall asleep!  It was 9:40pm or 14 hours 40 minutes after I jumped into line this morning until I walked out of the front gate of Disneyland.  I was so tired . . . not nearly as perky as I was when I started the day.  It was fun and honestly the day went by so quickly!  My feet are so tired!
I finally found that photographer . . . until next time . . .

1 comment: