Thursday, November 8, 2018

California: California Adventure

Sometimes you just need to escape the day to day routine of life. Lately parenting hasn’t been so fun. We both needed a break from each other. Colin is off to a church confirmation retreat which he is beyond words thrilled about, and I’m off to California. I definitely got the better deal.  So off I went in a nice upgraded seat with a somewhat tasty lunch . . . 
I really needed to use the laboratory but was prisoner to my sleeping seat mate. I never really know the etiquette of waking someone on a plane so I waited . . . thankfully it was only 20 minutes until we landed.

Over the last few months I have pondered traveling by myself and visiting places that are safe. News stories of kidnappings and other horrific crimes really have made me consider being less adventurous. I still have that spirit for adventure and off the beaten path travels but also have to consider that I am a mother to a son and his only living parent at that . . . these events have made me more aware and careful when considering a trip location. I would have loved to jet away to some awesome isolated location and be at peace with nature and hike but doing that alone just didn’t seem right. So I decided I needed happy and easy so Disneyland was where I landed. I mean who travels to a theme park alone without kids? Not me so this will be interesting to be 100% in control!  So I quickly dropped my bag at the hotel and walked to Disneyland!  I bought the military 3 day ticket which is an amazing deal and was in the park in less than 5 minutes!  Since this was a quick trip and half of the day was over, I decided to go to Disney California Adventure.  My absolute favorite part is Carsland . . .
I mean you really feel like you are in the middle of the movie!  
There are only a few rides so it is easy to ride them all and just wander around and enjoy.  The most popular ride is Radiator Springs Racers where lines can be over 90 minutes . . . no way would I wait in a line that long but there is a single rider line and it only took about 10 minutes!
The line was so quick that I rode it twice!  I tell you the single rider line is the way to ride popular attractions quickly.  Even when Colin and I are together we still use the single rider line.  We know we won't be together but I always go first so that I am waiting on him when his ride ends.  It works great and is very efficient.  Then I rode solo on Mater's Junkyard Jamboree and Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters.  Aren't those cars just so adorable?
And just like that all the rides in Carsland had been ridden!  Disneyland (California) is a whole different game compared to Disney World (Florida).  Honestly, I like both but if I need a quick Disney fix then California is where I like to go!  It is an easy trip to do for a couple of days.  Something new to me this trip was MaxPass.  It is $10 per person per day and it allows you to make Fast Pass reservations on your phone for certain rides (no more having to go pull a paper ticket which I kind of missed).  It also allows for unlimited photo downloads taken by the photographers in the park (think Photo Pass).  I probably did not get my money worth today since I was only there a few hours, but tomorrow I plan to maximize it!  I wanted to get an idea if it worked and was the extra cost worth it.  The answer is YES!  It was nice to have a couple of photos of myself too.  Only one more ride in the park that was a must ride for me and that was Soarin' Around the World which was a new movie so super cool that it was international and not just California.  It is always a fun ride and then I was off to eat!  Today was the soft opening of the Festival of Holidays which was a bunch of food stalls set up with fun foods!  I really enjoyed the small portions and glad to taste several . . . 
Yummy!  
TL: Pozole Rojo Beef with Hominy Polenta
TR: Nashville Hot Friend Turkey with Dill Pickles
BL:  Pumpkin Soup with Maple Cashew Cream
BR: Shrimp and Grits
M: Black Forest Yule Log

It was all good but my favorites were the Pumpkin Soup and the Yule Log was so pretty and very good too!  Since I ate so much I walked around a bit and just enjoyed the festive atmosphere and light crowds too.
I was getting tired so walked on a couple more rides as I headed towards the exit and decided to call it a day.  It was a short walk back to the hotel . . . tomorrow is going to be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment