Saturday, September 1, 2018

Fort Worth, Texas

School is officially busy!  It has been two weeks and the homework has been insane!  I insisted we escape for a quick overnight trip since it was a three day holiday weekend.  Colin did not object but you know he has a plan of his own!  I had been watching tickets at Bass Performance Hall for the musical School of Rock.  There were seats here and there but when I go to a performance I want to be in not just good seats but great seats!  So when I checked two great seats popped up and quickly bought them.  As soon as Colin arrived home we headed out for a quick trip.  I told him we would stop at one of his new favorites for dinner . . . he was not so sure what that was but when I told him he was thrilled to have dinner at Babe's Chicken Dinner House!  I decided to be different and get chicken fried steak but my favorite item at Babe's are the sides!
Colin was mortified that I wasn't ordering chicken!  Of course he eats just the chicken . . .
So four chicken legs later we were back in the car to check out a place I saw online that seemed interesting.  I did an online search for best dessert Fort Worth and one of the top places was called Lumi Snow Company.  I assumed it was a snow cone place until a bit more searching.  I knew we had to check it out.  I mean look at the menu!
I could not make up my mind and did not just want one because they all looked so fun!  So we decided to order three kid sized; Cookie Monster, Campfire Classic, and The Circus!
They were so fun and yummy too!  My favorite was Campfire Classic, and Colin loved his Cookie Monster.  I was glad we checked it out.  So what exactly is it?  It is not shaved ice . . . it is not ice cream . . . it is snow cream!  I really am lost for words on how to describe the texture but trust me it is unique and tasty!   Usually the flavoring is added after the ice is shaved but this is flavored before it is shaved so the snow is really rich in flavor.  I can not figure out how to describe it but here is a close up after we had a few bites . . .
One word?  GOOD!  FUN!  YUMMY!  You get the point!  So if you are near by GO!

A quick drive to the Hilton Fort Worth where we would get some interesting historical information about this hotel.  As we were checking in I noticed the guy and girl both had a presidential seal pin on their jacket lapel so I asked about it.  Oh wow . . . this is the hotel President and First Lady Kennedy stayed the night before he was assassinated in Dallas.  I had no idea!  Since we were the only people in the lobby, I asked at least two dozen questions . . . Colin wasn't even annoyed either!  I mean how cool and weird to know that this was the last hotel the President slept before he died.  Of course I asked what floor and what room and could you stay in that room . . . on and on and on . . . I tell you my brain was a spinning with questions!   I did ask if anyone that has stayed in the room has reported any sort of unusual behavior and was told no.  I was tempted to ask to go see the room but knew it was not what it looked like back in 1963.  Too bad they didn't preserve it and turn it into some sort of museum or memorial.  Who knew we would get a history lesson checking into a hotel late at night? 

The original Presidential Suite was located on the 8th floor.  Out of respect for the family that Presidential Suite was renovated and turned into regular hotel rooms.  So the even numbered rooms from 806-814 used to be the suite where the Kennedys spent the night.  The main sleeping areas were mainly in rooms 810 and 812 but when they were reconfigured it is a bit off.  So behind these doors . . .
Yes, I went to the 8th floor and just stood there thinking about what it must have been like on November 21, 1963!  Just a regular day of being President and First Lady and the next day it all changed.  There was not a person around; so I just stood there a minute.

So back to the 14th floor I went before calling it a night.

There is a memorial plaza outside the hotel we visited . . .
It was then show time so made the quick walk to Bass Performance Hall . . .
So when I bought the tickets I thought they were on row 4 but they were front row!
The show was good with some very talented kids!  I was impressed the kids actually played their instruments.  Of course on the drive home Colin was starving and suggested we stop for dinner.  Where did he want to go?  Back to Babe's Chicken Dinner House . . . I decided to just order the sides . . .
. . . he had four more chicken legs!

No comments:

Post a Comment