Thursday, June 27, 2019

Washington DC Review

There really are no words I can write on how I feel about the last few days. I was nervous.  I was hesitant. I was hopeful.  When I think about it I get teary eyed and just have so much love, respect and appreciation for everyone we saw.  The White House was unbelievable, witnessing a Medal of Honor placed around the neck of a very humble and deserving man was historic, and the Pentagon speech was touching and had me ready to sign up.  As all the official events were over we returned to our hotel room. I asked Colin what was the best part of the trip and without hesitation he said “the people” and I could not agree more.  I know the events of Fallujah have forever changed so many of those great men and women of Alpha Company 2-2IN 3BDE and their families.  I also know that seeing us is a reminder of a very painful loss.  I could feel the hesitation to approach us and completely understood. While we did not get to talk to everyone, just seeing them is all I needed.  I was amazed at how full my heart was just watching them all interact and reconnect.  It was great to hug, talk, and meet many of them.  Colin was only 5 weeks old when Sean left for Iraq so for Colin it was the first time to hear directly about his dad from those with him in Iraq.  The simplest stories were so good for him to hear.  While we haven’t talked about how it felt to him . . . I know it meant the world to him.  He has never smiled so much and the pride on his face was evident.  Colin did amazing in a tough situation, and I was so proud of him.  For me it was good too.  I managed to hold my emotions together until I sat down to write this on the plane home . . . a thought from the events will pop into my head and make me emotional but in a good way.  The tears might also have something to do with the fact that today 21 years ago Sean and I were married.  I really just lived in and enjoyed  the moment.  There really are no words!  I really just enjoyed the moment.  Being in the company of so many amazing people is what it was all about! I left with a full heart and so glad we went! It was healing and rewarding.  I can not thank David Bellavia enough for reaching out and inviting Colin to attend . . . thankfully I got to tag along! 

If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together. 
1 Corinthians 12:26






No comments:

Post a Comment