Thursday, July 29, 2021

Fort Worth, Texas

Rise and shine!  I decided to take a quick overnight trip to a place that has been on my list forever!  I am trying to beat the Texas summer heat as I explore some of the highlights of Fort Worth, Texas.  I grabbed a quick snack at The Biscuit Bar.  Let me tell you it was amazing!  It was a hard decision but settled on the FABB biscuit with an iced tea.
It might not be a traditional biscuit but the figs, arugula, bacon, and brie were just so F.A.B.B.!  It was just what I needed to get my day started.  It was time to put my boots (okay sneakers) to walking around the Historic Fort Worth Stockyards. 
From 1766-1890 the Fort Worth Stockyards were the last civilized stop on the Chisolm Trail.  Since it was early, I wandered over the visit The Herd. 
It was pretty toasty outside, so went indoors to The Stockyard Museum.  It was packed full of historic artifacts from the days.  I loved all the old photos.  The one fascinating artifact on display is the 2nd oldest burning lightbulb.  It has been burning strong for 110 years and was originally in The Palace Theater.  I mean do they really know it has been burning that long?  What if it flickered?
It was nearing time for the one event that I really came to see, the daily Cattle Drive.  

The Old West comes to life before your eyes during the world's only twice-daily cattle drive presented by the Fort Worth Herd. Real Texas cowhands drive a herd of Texas longhorns down East Exchange Avenue in the Stockyards National Historic District every day.

It was still early so I decided to hop in the car and explore other parts of the city.  My first stop was downtown at The Fort Worth Water Gardens . . .
. . . I was worried it would be crowded and hard to park but found parking across the street.  After a walk around it was back on the road to the Fort Worth Botanical Gardens.  You might be asking yourself how was the weather because it is late July and well it was H-O-T!  But I was hoping there would be good shade since it was a garden and there was.
It was just beautiful even in the Texas summer heat.  I loved the special display of the nature inspired Lego creations.
  
Just down the street was the Kimbrell Art Museum.  Not that I was into art, but it was free and inside . . . free air conditioning . . . and after all the walking at the botanical garden I needed to cool off.  I must admit it was a very nice museum.  I always try to find one display that is interesting and here it is . . .
 
The afternoon sun was unbearable so I jumped back in the car and headed to the hotel.  I was hoping that an afternoon swim would cool me off but the pool was rather warm but it was nice.  After a quick swim and short nap, it was time for dinner!  My hotel, Hyatt Place Fort Worth Historic Stockyards, was in the middle of many options for a hearty Texas dinner.  I settled on Horseshoe Hill for a little chicken friend steak cowboy way . . .
. . . yep, I could have shared it if I had a partner with me but well, I ate the whole thing!  Good thing I had to walk back to the hotel!  With a full belly, I called it a night and hoped for a great night sleep.  And just like that my 24 hours in Fort Worth was over.  Well, sort of . . . before I left I did officially wrap up the trip just like it started . . . with a visit to The Biscuit Bar to give their most popular biscuit, The HOSS, a try . . .
. . . southern fried chicken, crispy bacon, jack cheese, house-made gravy, honey butter . . . the honey butter was lick the plate yummy.  Yummy times ten.  

1 comment: