Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Washington, Texas

Colin is visiting the Sims family so I am looking for something to do today.  I decided to brave the hot, humid Texas heat and go do a little learning!  Time to see how much of 7th grade Texas history I really remember.  
Washington-on-the-Brazos is known as "the birthplace of Texas" because, on March 1, 1836, Texas delegates met in the town to formally announce Texas' intention to separate from Mexico and to draft a constitution for the new Republic of Texas.
 I quickly found the Visitor's Center and bought my ticket.  I was most excited to visit the Barrington Plantation; so I quickly got back in the car and drove there before it got too hot. 
The Barrington Plantation was the home of the last President of the Republic of Texas, Dr. Anson Jones.  The Anson Jones home was built in 1844 and moved to Washington-on-the-Brazos as part of the Texas Centennial celebration in 1936.
Once I crossed the bridge it was as if I stepped back in time.
I quickly met a resident of the plantation who was less than impressed with my arrival. 
It was nice outside, and I was the only visitor.  I was giddy as I got closer.
The fences . . .  the porch on the dogtrot/dog run house . . . the chickens . . . the zinnias . . . the crops and garden.  Love it all!  Of course I don't know if I could have ever lived in this time period, but there are days I would love to rewind and go back in time . . . until you see the rustic the living quarters.
 
I headed back outside and found these guys . . .
I am a sucker for fowl.  It was starting to get warm and a tour was starting soon so did a quick walk around the rest of the land.
I quickly made my way back to the Visitor's Center to join a walking tour to Independence Hall.  
Washington-on-the-Brazos is located along the Brazos River.  It was founded when Texas was still a part of Mexico.  The town was the site of the Texas Convention of 1836 and the signing of the Texas Declaration of Independence.  The only building on the site is a replica of the original Independence Hall. It was here where delegates from across Texas determined the fate of this land called Texas!  The Texas delegates declared independence on March 2, 1836. Sixty men signed the Texas Declaration of Independence.

Meanwhile, the forces of General Santa Anna laid siege to the Alamo.  We all know how that ended.

Even as the settlers fled ahead of Santa Anna’s army, the convention labored for 17 days. During that time, they declared Texas independent from Mexico; penned a new constitution; and organized an interim government, giving birth to a new nation: the Republic of Texas. It all took place in this tiny one room building.  
After the tour ended, I walked along the trail down to the Brazos River . . . it was not visible due to all the trees and brush but a nice walk.
I am not sure that Mrs. Teal would be impressed with my lack of Texas History knowledge today.

No comments:

Post a Comment