Sunday, July 23, 2023

Day 12: fun in the sun

We had a late breakfast next door at Café Brunner.  It was nice, but I went for a small breakfast because I had other plans.  
             Small Breakfast                        Real Breakfast
 
Yes, we did have ice cream for breakfast and it was delicious!  The best part was we sat outside listening to the church bells.
Before leaving town, we made a quick stop at Colin’s birth place, Klinikum Weiden. 
It was back on the road to an area I have always thought was beautiful, Pottenstein.  I knew Colin would love the fun outdoor activities in the area.  We bought 2 tickets for the rodelbahn and ended up buying 2 more because we had so much fun! 
Just down the road was one of my all time favorite stores that happens to be open on Sunday (very rare in Germany) and there was no way I could not stop by!  So off to Muggendorf we went!
  
I loved this store and spent a lot of my hard earned money there.  All the wooden items I have in my home bring me so much joy and happiness!  No regrets and so glad I have all my items.  We had to backtrack to go feed the fish!  I knew Colin would love seeing the trout fish up close and would feed them until we ran out of coins!  We purchased so many handfuls of feed!
He was determined to touch one even though signs said no.  But you know people don't pay attention to those signs.  Now was the time that I know Colin had been looking forward to the entire trip, driving on the autobahn.  I had been giving him little tidbits on the road rules the last two days so now was his time to cross off another one off his list.  We pulled to the side of the road so he could get his glasses.  I knew he would drive so threw in his prescription glasses.  We took everything out of car, and we are unpacking our suitcases and backpacks on the side of the highway.  Not once, not twice but three times.  The glasses were nowhere to be found so we throw it all back in car and get on the road.  I know I packed them.  I know I saw them a few days ago and we have not unpacked our suitcases the entire trip.  We have moved hotels every day or two and unpacking was too much trouble.  So, he just drove . . . without glasses.  Getting warmed up . . . 
It was late afternoon and we missed lunch so we pulled off at an autohof (truck stop) for a snack.  Just so happens there was a KFC.  I wasn’t thrilled but it met the goal of him eating.  So here is a KFC meal . . .
I know, I know we sure are eating a lot of American food.  Back on the road and ready to test the speed . . .
You know what will give you a heart stopping moment?  Your kid driving on the autobahn at ridiculous speeds.  He managed to get up to 210 km/hr which is about 130 mph.  I managed to remain calm and then it started raining so he slowed way down which was good.   

We were near the rental car drop off so we needed to fill up the car with gasoline.  We looked like two weirdos trying to make sure we put the correct gas in the car.  I knew it was benzine (unleaded) but that is not how the pumps were labeled.  The pumps had numbers and I had no clue what those numbers meant.  After we opened the gas compartment door, we figured it out and just laughed at ourselves.  I am sure the inside attendant was laughing at us too.  Stupid Americans!  We returned the rental car to the train station and he was sad as it was a pretty sweet car.
Our hotel was a short walk from the train station.  I used to visit Nuremberg often but it was only a 45 minute train ride to our house so never stayed at a hotel.  The area outside the Nuremberg train station is very shady!  Our hotel, Hotel Drei Raben, was sort of in that area but had great reviews.  
As we were led to our room, because that is what they do at the smaller hotels to make you are happy and know how to use all the features.  I started doubting myself.  I mean there is red shag carpet in the hallway. 
The room is super clean, and I love it!  Each room in the hotel is themed after a person or something relating to Nuremberg.  
Our room had a theme of Peter Henlein.  I had no idea who he was until I looked him up online and read about him.
Peter Henlein, a locksmith and clockmaker of Nuremberg, Germany, is often considered the inventor of the watch. He was one of the first craftsmen to make small ornamental portable clocks which were often worn as pendants or attached to clothing, and which are regarded as the first watches.
We took a quick walk outside for dinner and back to the room to unpack and look for Colin’s prescription glasses again. We still can’t find them.  They were either stolen or lost. 
 
Steps:  13,454
Miles:  5.88

No comments:

Post a Comment