Monday, July 24, 2023

Day 13: beautiful Nuremberg

I picked Nuremberg.  If you ask me my favorite German city this would be it especially during the Weihnachtsmarkt season (Christmas Market).  I have been here many times but never really did the touristy stuff.  I really wanted to explore more of the sites related to WWII and Hitler.  I know you might be asking why but history!  I booked us a tour that would take us to the key sites around Nuremberg.  
I don't know what I was expecting, but I was a bit disappointed with the tour.  In hindsight, I should have just used public transportation to get around and do my own tour.  But the guide got us there . . . I thought he talked too much and when the tour started he asked our group (7 people) what we wanted to see.  I was dumbfounded because I booked a tour that told me where they would take us.  So from the beginning I knew it was going to be a bit disappointing!  However, I did get to see several places that I wanted to visit so not a total waste.
Kongresshalle from the outside . . .
Kongresshalle from the inside . . . 
Zeppelinfeld . . .
Courtroom 1600 as the site of the Nuremberg Trials . . . 
This was the one place I was looking forward to visiting the most.  It was very crowded but was able to read more about the trials.  Our tour ended and we were dropped off in the hauptmarkt (main square).  Of course you know what we had to do first . . . eat!  
When in Nuremberg you must have the Nürnberger Bratwurst.  They are the small sausages that are sometimes referred to breakfast sausage in America. Of course I loved the sides just as much! 
One of the focal points of the hauptmarkt . . .
Schöner Brunnen (beautiful fountain)
We walked around just soaking up our surroundings.  I also have not spent much time at the Nuremberg Castle so we huffed it up there.  It was nice to just walk around the castle and explore.  
We took a little tea break while waiting on our tour of the Historischer Kunstbunker (historic art bunker).  It was very interesting how the art and religious relics were stored underground during the bombings.  We were told that about 90% of Nuremberg was destroyed during the January 2, 1945 bombings that lasted about an hour.  
After the tour we continued to walk around with no plans.  We did a little shopping at Müller, store with just about everything.  The vendors were out selling their goods.  I have always wished I lived in a town where I could just walk up and buy fresh produce! 
One of my favorite views in Nuremberg.
So, we went inside and had dinner at Heilig Geist Spital.  We were told that Nuremberg has a special rotbier (red beer) that is sweet and strong.  We tasted it; it was okay.  I had another one of my favorites kleiner salattteller (small salad plate) and eierspätzle (egg noodles with a cream sauce)So yummy! 
One thing that Colin remembers about Nuremberg is a model train you could drive at the bahnhof (train station) so we went to see if it was still there.  We found it tucked away and still working!  He was so excited.  He could not resist popping a few euro coins in to drive it around.
 
It amazes me what he remembers.  It was in 2010 we were last at the Nuremberg bahnhof!  So see travel with your kids they will remember!  Back to the Hotel Drei Raben to pack and prepare to change locations to fly back home.
 
Steps:  15,675
Miles:  6.85

No comments:

Post a Comment