Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Day 14: saying good-bye is hard

I woke up looking at the ceiling.  The room’s ceiling has the story of Peter Henlein.  It is in German so no clue what it says. 

I really do like the hotel and the unique theming.  Well, the old saying time flies when you're having fun could not be truer.  The reality that our trip is over hits hard.  I love to travel.  I miss traveling.  If I have learned one thing on this trip it is that I am ready to make life changes . . . it is time for me to figure out my next plan, and I am not just talking about travel.  We checked out of the hotel but did not want to leave just yet.  It was a rainy day around Nuremberg but we were out enjoying our last hours.  One of my favorite photos of Colin was taken in Nuremberg.
We tried to recreate it but were a bit too lazy to walk to the exact spot. 
We had lunch at Café Bohm Herrenteller.  So, a little about this place.  On December 29, 2003, I was eating dinner with parents, Sean, and his parents. 
I was obviously not feeling well but look what I was eating, vanilla ice cream with hot raspberries!
Colin was due to arrive on January 8, 2004.  We were less than an hour from our home enjoying a meal and my favorite city.  I felt off the entire day but just chalked it up to being very pregnant and tired.  I swear I went to the restroom every 15 minutes.  We left town, and I continued to feel off.  My mom told me I was in early signs of labor.  So I called a fellow Army wife that was a nurse and she said yep probably need to go to the hospital.  I took a long hot bath, washed my hair, and did a bunch of other unnecessary things around the house.  Around 11pm, we went to the hospital.  So here we sit in the same restaurant 19 years later . . . eating a yummy lunch and I forgot to get a photo of us!  
We ended our day with one more eis stop which turned out to be the biggest language fiasco the entire trip.  I know how to order food in German.  I just ordered two scoops with cream and it was a disaster.  Finally, the guy next to me helped with the order!
We grabbed our bags and said good-bye to Nuremberg.  The walk to the train station was sad but knew that this trip did exactly what I wanted it to do.  
It has been a cool 62 degrees today and almost certain that I will miss this weather when we are back in Texas.  The less than three hour train ride to the Frankfurt airport was painfully slow at 105km/hour.  We checked into the Hilton Frankfurt Hotel for the night awaiting our morning flight tomorrow.

Steps:  10,800 steps
Miles:  4.39

  

No comments:

Post a Comment