Monday, July 31, 2023

Germany Trip Summer 2023

We had a great trip!  Every time I am in Europe the thought of living there for an extended time pops into my head.  I tell myself one of these day!  Here is what I had to plan our trip and from there it all fell into place!


Colin's To Do Picks
Minatur Wunderland in Hamburg, Germany
World War 2 Museum Gdansk, Poland
Drink beer
Visit where I was born!
Drive on the autobahn

Heidi's To Do Picks 
Cologne, Germany 
Nuremberg, Germany
Kaltenbrunn, Germany
Weiden, Germany
visit school where I worked

So I cheated a bit by just picking cities.  I knew I would be doing the planning and exactly what I wanted to see in each city.

A few things that we both commented on:

1.  cost of water . . . is a lot!  We both drink a lot of water and at meals our bill was usually half water!

2.  laid back . . . One of the reasons I love Europe so much!  I always talk about this and now Colin knows exactly what I mean.  No one rushes you and it is okay to sit for hours just buying one drink

3.  orderly driving . . . even though there are areas with speed limits on major highways, there are also parts where there are not . . . Colin was amazed at how everyone followed the driving rules.  I gave him a quick run down on how important it is to only pass on the left, never go faster than any car to your left, if you pass be sure to move over as soon as you clear the other car, and always watch your mirrors for fast approaching cars.  He did amazing driving . . . I know he was stressed but also know he loved every second that he drove!  Of course it helped having a nice BMW car to drive too!


What we enjoyed the most . . .
Favorite Meal
Colin:  Bratwurst at Cologne Bahnhof  (Day 2)
Heidi:  Weiden Brewery meal (Day 11)

Favorite Hotel
Colin:  he doesn't care
Heidi:   PEIRDREI Hotel Hamburg and Hanza Hotel and Drei Raben Hotel   

Favorite Experiences
Colin
1.  driving on the autobahn (Day 12)
2.  Rodelbahn (Day 12)
Day 12 was also the day we could not find his prescription glasses!

Heidi
1.  Just being there!  I know, I know that's not an answer.
2.  Closure and Peace . . . I wrote about it on Day 11
3.  Day 7 . . . just learning, remembering, and having fun

Favorite Place
Colin:  WW2 Museum in Gdansk (Day 8)
Heidi:  Stutthof Concentration Camp in Poland (Day 7)

No comments:

Post a Comment