Saturday, January 20, 2024

Birthday Weekend: CocoCay, Bahamas

Since I went to bed so early, I was up at 5am!  I quickly got out on deck to watch us arriving at CocoCay.  This is a private island owned by Royal Caribbean and have never been here.  It is always cool to watch the ships pull into port and dock.  
We shall see if today really is a perfect day?
It is unseasonably cool this weekend and very windy but when you have limited time you sort of just have to accept it and enjoy the best you can.  I lingered around the boat as we were there all day and no hurry to get off.  I often get asked about how I travel alone.  You know it is fine.  My thought is if I want to go some where then it is either go alone or stay home!  I don't mind eating alone or hanging out alone.  Sometimes it is nice to do things solo but it is also nice to travel with others too.  
I finally got off and found a spot to hang out for a bit.  I brought a new tripod to use to take photos and was having fun but a little embarrassed too.  I definitely need some practice with my solo photos with the tripod.
Honestly, I was a little bored just hanging out so went for walk to explore the island.  One thing that I did not realize is a lot of areas require you to buy a ticket or pay extra.  There was not way I was paying to sit in a specific area when there were hundreds of empty lounge chairs.  I did enjoy lunch at the Snack Shack at Oasis Lagoon.
I liked this place because it was not a buffet and you ordered and they handed food to you.  I had had enough fun for the day so headed back onboard for a shower, nap, and more food.  Here's the thing about cruising . . . anything goes and there always food everywhere you turn!
I also feel cruising in not super friendly for solo travelers.  I had to pay double for my room even though I am the only person occupying the room!  Thankfully it was last minute and the price was not bad even paying double.
Normally, I would eat dinner in the main dining room but since I am alone I decided that I did not want to sit with strangers and be chatty and answer a lot of questions on why I am traveling solo.  People always have questions.  So I headed to the Windjammer which is the buffet.  I am not really a buffet person but was there when the doors opened which meant I could get my food before anyone else had their nasty hands on the serving utensils.  The theme tonight was Italian and man was it all delicious and the view was pretty good too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment