Sunday, January 21, 2024

Birthday Weekend: Nassau, Bahamas

I must admit this is the day I have looked forward to the most.  The last time I was in Nassau on a land trip, Colin and I had an excursion to visit Exuma and the swimming pigs but weather canceled it.  I was so bummed.  When I looked at what excursions the cruise offered I noticed on to Pig Island.  It was not the same but the concept was so I booked it . . . Happy Birthday to me!
When we arrived it was super windy and cool outside . . . I considered canceling but then would have nothing to do.  The first part of the excursions was to hang out and eat lunch at Pearl Island until our time slot to visit the pigs.  Pearl Island was  bit run down but the views made up for the worn out beach chairs.
It was time to make a quick boat trip to Pig Island to visit the pigs.  They did not disappoint!
We were given a small cup of apples and weenies . . . feed me . . . they knew why the humans were there!  
 
I absolutely loved watching the pigs go from person to person looking for food.  They were so funny!
The 45 minutes went by so fast.  Oh and I know someone is probably wondering about the poop.  I had read reviews from previous travelers that the pigs pooped in the water and it was disgusting.  I did not see one pig do this but I was mindful and did not get in the water at all; I just feed the pigs from the sandy beach.  We boarded the boat to head back to the ship in Nassau.  I went right back to the ship to relax.  The seas were a bit rough tonight which made it fun!  I packed my bags and went out one last time to enjoy the last night of the cruise.  Of course I ended up at the Windjammer for dessert and hot tea!
I took this short cruise to see if I thought I would enjoy a longer cruise as a solo traveler.  I was just getting into my cruise groove and now it is over.  Now I am looking for a longer cruise!
The Freedom of the Seas will arrive back in Miami super early.  I have a flight to catch early afternoon which means I will be sitting for a long time at the airport terminal.

No comments:

Post a Comment