Saturday, March 2, 2024

AZ Road Trip Day 1: Tucson, Arizona

I arrived during traffic and did not want to be stuck in traffic so I let my phone guide me. How is that we rely on the internet for just about everything these days? It did get me to where I needed to be, but I was beginning to doubt the chosen route! My rental car has an old fashioned regular key that you must insert into the ignition . . . honestly, I did not even know they made those anymore! It was an early wake since I am on mountain time which is always good when I travel solo because then I can get an early start. If you don’t know by now, I love the National Parks. It a goal to visit all 63. Today, I am checking off Saguaro National Park. Saguaro National Park is unique in that it is two separate locations; east and west. First up for the day is the east location.
I arrived before it opened so off I went of the 8 mile scenic loop. I like that there are no other cars so I can stop in the middle of the road and snap a photo if needed. I am loving the weather and the lack of people out this early. I love getting out and exploring the trails and reading about the local areas; Desert Ecology Trail, Forest of Cactus, Javelina Rocks Overlook, and Homestead Trail Loop are a few of the short trails that I hit up this morning.

Just saguaros everywhere. I love the saguaros but really find the ocotillo rather unique . . . spiny and wiry but really big thorns. 
Of course I had to have some fun too . . .
 
It was time to move on to Saguaro National Park west which is about an hour drive to the west. It is way more crowded at this park since many schools are on Spring Break. I headed out on the Nature Trail to enjoy the views and have a little snack. 
The west and east are similar in they both have a lot  of cactus . . . I think in the west you are able to get up closer to the scenery and it is more crowded where as the east is a driving loop with pull offs to do short hikes. I am glad I went to both but preferred the east.
I decided to drive the Bajada Scenic Loop even though I am a bit hesitant since it is unpaved and I am in a rental car but hey why not? It was a bit rough in spots but managed just fine.
My day is done so it was back to the hotel to relax by the pool because today looks to be the only warm day this trip. It is only 73 outside which seems super warm compared to 73 in Texas. I was hungry so my fun in the sun was over. I grabbed some food at the Colibri Lounge but good luck getting anyone to serve you! I was annoyed and starving since the only thing I had eaten today was popcorn. I waited for 45 minutes at a table that was for food service but gave up and ordered food to-go at the bar. Absolutely ridiculous since it was not even crowded! The main reason I came to the bar area to eat was because I asked for a menu when at the pool and got nothing! I just wanted food and did not feel like driving off the hotel property. For such an upscale resort the service has a lot to be desired. It just shows that good employees are hard to find everywhere. So tonight, I ate my food as I sat on my balcony watching the sun set . . . it probably was better that way!

No comments:

Post a Comment