Sunday, June 19, 2011

Colorado Springs, CO

The 'big' event of the trip was taking the cog railway to the top of Pike's Peak. Everyone was looking forward to heading to the top. The ride up was pretty . . .


We could see snow on top so we knew it would be cold! What we did not expect was it would be 34 degrees and only 23 degrees with the wind chill.

Now that my friends is freezing cold when you come from Texas where it was in the 100s! The view was beautiful, but I could so feel the effects of the elevation!
The ride down was slow but glad to get to our next adventure. I dropped my parents off in downtown Manitou Springs so they could explore while Colin and I headed to the Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument. I am becoming a big fan of our National Parks especially if they have a Junior Ranger program. We got there just in time to join one of the talks led by a park ranger. We grabbed the Junior Ranger workbook and set out on our hike. It was a beautiful day and enjoyed spending time in the wide open land soaking in the air, sun, and beauty. Most of the visible fossils were of giant trees . . .
. . . the fossil above is HUGE! I can't remember how big around it was but it was one of the largest in the US. Colin just hanging out on the trail, talking with a Park Ranger, and posing with a tree . . .


It was time to head back to Colorado Springs and get ready to leave town in the morning.

2 comments:

  1. I am really enjoying your trip with you. I love these places you are going on this one. I haven't been for years, but you are helping me remember all the fun we've had in New Mexico and Colorado.
    For some reason google won't let me use my own name, they are selecting my blog name. Anyway I'm the same old Ruth H
    PS I hope you make it to Mt. Rushmore, it is a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love Florissant Fossil Beds and Junior Ranger Programs save our trips to any park, lol! Glad you had such a good time!

    ReplyDelete