Sunday, July 1, 2012

Alaska day 2

This constant daylight is really starting to annoy me . . . it is vacation and I was planning to sleep late every day.  It is nice to sort of plan as you go too.  We headed to the University of Alaska Museum of the North.  The building was really cool (not my photo) . . .
                                             
and the inside was very nice too.  I loved the room with all the artifacts and wildlife of Alaska.  Meet Brown Bear . . .
He is 8' 9" tall and weighs 1,250 pounds.  WOW was he scary . . . can you imagine crossing paths with him?  I sure can't!  They had some great movies in the theater . . . we watched all 3!  I can't wait to return to see the Northern Lights this winter.  I might have dozed off a little bit, LOL.  Another interesting display was this outhouse . . .  
. . . I was really shocked to learn that a lot of people in Alaska live in houses with no free running water.  They don't have wells or city water but instead have water trucked in on a truck or have big barrels of water in the back of their trucks; I can not imagine!  It was too pretty to stay inside so outside we went to see some of the displays outside.

I loved the totem poles!  The colors are so pretty . . . of course I have no idea of the meaning or significance of the things on them but they were super tall!  Great museum not to be missed if ever in Fairbanks.  The adventure changes focus tomorrow from fun to formal but just for one day then back to travel fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment