Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Progreso, Mexico

FINALLY!  I was ready to get off this boat!  It hasn't been bad just ready to actually see and do something other than sit by a pool or eat.  I had booked an excursion to go visit the Mayan ruins of Uxmal.  It was about a 90 minute bus ride to the site.  The bus did have air conditioning which was nice.  We arrived just as they opened and were one of the first groups to enter . . .


The ruins were very maintained and massive!  Let me also mention that it was 100% humidity today, and the temperature was expected to reach above 100 so the tour guide said it would feel somewhere between 110 and 120 . . . yeah it felt every bit of it!  I was sweating on every possible body part and it was awful, but we made the best of it!  At one point I was climbing down stairs and stepped so close that it jumped; do you see it?
Yes, it scared me and I was jumpy the rest of the day!  The right photo is enlarged to show the iguana and just how well they blended into the stones.  I am not a fan of them at all!  Of course Colin stalked them all day long . . . he thought the one that I almost stepped on would come back out . . .

Everywhere we went there were iguanas.  They were brownish gray so blended in well with the rock area.  I was ready to get out of there!  As you can tell he was having a blast . . .

 I was beyond hot so one parting shot before exiting the park for a snack . . .
Did someone say ice cream?  Now this photo is funny and heartwarming to me.  One thing that Sean always loved to do was go to Baskin Robbins for ice cream.  He always ordered the exact same thing which I would think was totally gross:  Chocolate Fudge ice cream and Daiquiri Ice.  I never seemed to acquire the taste for that combination but to each their own.  So when I sent Colin off to get two scoops guess what he came back with?  Chocolate and Lime . . . this child has never ventured from ordering vanilla every where we go!  I just laughed and smiled and knew he had acquired his father's taste for odd ice cream combinations.  Not sure what possessed him to order those flavors together but was a nice reminder of Sean, and he ate every last drop.

It was time to head back to the bus . . . you remember the air conditioned bus?  Well, it had been sitting for two hours in the sun and not running . . . it was going to be a long ride back to the boat!  At least there were some shops to stop at when we arrived back . . . maybe I need a nice cold frozen drink?  Colin headed to the pool which was full of intoxicated young adults doing things he did not need to see so that was short lived!  So he just decided to eat again . . . pizza and ice cream.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like fun! Hot, but fun. Love those iguanas but that was a big one. I can see why you were a bit jumpy.

    Love the ice cream story ~ but both Sean's and Colin's flavor combos sound awful LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colin stalking iguanas. That kid cracks me up! ; ) You're braver than I am. At the sight of the first iguana, I would have hightailed it out of there faster than the Road Runner!!! Lol...

    ReplyDelete