Sunday, July 4, 2021

Mexico day 2

It was a great wake up!  We have zero plans for the day which is sort of nice.  My feathered friend was waiting for me to wake up!
We made our way to Cocina Milagro for breakfast which was a bit of a mess with overwhelmed staff!  I literally asked four times for a juice and water . . . I ate my entire breakfast before I had a drink.  I was annoyed that a resort of this caliber could not get me a drink.  I tried to go help myself but there were no glasses or pitchers to get my own.   At least my breakfast was good especially those eggs and chilaquiles! 
I finally got my juice and water and asked for several refills!  I needed to hydrate for our activity and it was already so hot outside!  As we left breakfast we grabbed two bikes for our little adventure . . . 
The entire area of Mayakoba has bikes to use for free.  You just grab them and go.  I love a bike ride on vacation!  We were just going to take a little ride to check out the resort property and see if we could find the cenote!  A cenote is a natural pit, or sinkhole, resulting from the collapse of limestone bedrock that exposes groundwater. The regional term is specifically associated with the Yucatán Peninsula of Mexico, where cenotes were commonly used for water supplies by the ancient Maya, and occasionally for sacrificial offerings.  My aunt had a little mishap about 10 feet from the cenote . . . when I looked back I could see her in slow motion falling off the path into a shrub.  I was worried because at that point the path was about 8 inches above the ground.  She was okay with a bloody knee and a few scratches.  We laughed and walked the last few feet to the cenote entrance
There is a guide that takes you down to see the cenote and give a little background information. 
It was pretty neat until the guy flashed his flashlight on the ceiling and showed us hundreds of bats!
I wanted to immediately exit these really amazing steps but stayed to enjoy the views a little bit longer!
It was a cool place and glad we went.  I marked that down as our cultural experience for the trip.  We grabbed our bikes and back to the room to change for some time by the pool and celebrate America!  
Happy 4th of July!  It was a nice day to just relax by the pool . . . and then we saw this . . . 
He minded his own business but we had no idea what it was!  I asked but could not understand what they said but apparently it is a local animal known as kudamundi or a Mexican raccoon.  Then we went back to Cocina Milagro to give it a try for dinner.  
 
I had the absolute best salad ever, Baked Brie Cheese Salad; spinach, arugula, macadamia nuts, cranberry compote, and baked brie cheese . . . it was sooooo good I almost ordered another one . . . and those squash dumplings were good too.

No comments:

Post a Comment